zuzuzela
Topic Author

Tool controller

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:35 am

Dear,
I'm doing some research on aviation technical areas and I've got some confuses about "TOOL CONTROLLER". Is this really a kind of tools or a people doing something relevant with tool? English is not my mother language; thus, can you help me?
Thank so much.

Starlionblue

Re: Tool controller

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 am

Can you provide a bit more context?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Tristarsteve

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 am

Working on aircraft all tools are controlled to make sure that none are left behind when the job is finished. This can be a simple checklist that is completed at the end of each day/job, or a toolbox with cut out pockets for the tools. Also common is a see through plastic toolbox so you can see if any are missing.
Under EASA regulations something must be done. Most technical departments now do not allow personal tools, and all tools are supplied by the company.
In the hangar at ARN there is a tool store that is photographed continually. A computor record is kept of tools being used, and the aircraft cannot be released from the hangar until they are all returned.

zeke

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:50 pm

As well as keeping track of the tools and test equipment location, they are also normally responsible to ensure the tools that require calibration, are recalibrated before they expire.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Balerit

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:26 pm

We use a 'chit' system where you draw a tool from the store and leave a chit (with your number stamped on it) in the tool's place.
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

Apprentice

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 am

zuzuzela wrote:
Dear,
I'm doing some research on aviation technical areas and I've got some confuses about "TOOL CONTROLLER". Is this really a kind of tools or a people doing something relevant with tool? English is not my mother language; thus, can you help me?
Thank so much.

Zuzuela, hi: As almost usually it depends of geographic zone /regulator.

-an EASA technician MUST carry a tool’s inventoire (on white and black) inside your tool box and check it on a regulary base, as stated on your company GMM.

- for an FAA’s one, if He works on N- registered planes, no inventoire is mandatory.

- and for a FAA’s technician doing EASA’s maintenance, (for instance, line mx in America for EASA’s planes), He, again, needs to comply with custommer’s requierements, in this case, to carry a tool inventoire up to date.

Been under both regulators, I preferred first option, inventoire, it wil lower the chance to lost tools. (My opinion)

Tool Controller will be, most probably, a QA’s Inspector, in charge of this control and also the control of all common tools, like jacks for wheels’ replacement.

Rgds
“An AME, with just a Mechanic Role”, as per one of our pilots
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)

flipdewaf

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:57 pm

I work in the food industry and while not as heavily regulated as the aviation sector there is still requirements for tidying up after a job (looking at you electricians :duck: ) and ensuring that the area is cleaned to a sufficient standard. We already have PPE that is released from a vending machine with your ID badge and it is being looked at that tools for engineering will be stored securely and that each tool has its own embedded RFID that matches to the shadow board, I wold imagine that similar systems are used for the aviation sector.

Fred

deltal1011man

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:48 am

Tristarsteve wrote:
Working on aircraft all tools are controlled to make sure that none are left behind when the job is finished. This can be a simple checklist that is completed at the end of each day/job, or a toolbox with cut out pockets for the tools. Also common is a see through plastic toolbox so you can see if any are missing.
Under EASA regulations something must be done. Most technical departments now do not allow personal tools, and all tools are supplied by the company.
In the hangar at ARN there is a tool store that is photographed continually. A computor record is kept of tools being used, and the aircraft cannot be released from the hangar until they are all returned.

I truly hope we never do this in the US.

I don't even like it if the company provides the tool box for your tools.