franklyn
Topic Author

FSDO appointment for illegibility to test.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 am

Hi everyone .
Please I need to get some information.
I am new to America I just came from Africa this last December and I am kind of not well informed as to how to go on with the conversion of my A and P license.

I studied Airframe and powerplant in Royal Jordanian Air Academy which I did my on the job training so I have A and P license .
In addition to that I worked in my country for two (2) years on b737 and b777 as line maintenance mechanic. Having relocated to join my wife who is already here as a citizen.

I called the office which the receiver asked me to get prepared and schedule an appointment but as you know , I need to be well informed before doing that
So having stated the facts I need some advice so as to know what to expect .
Thanks .

Apprentice

Re: FSDO appointment for illegibility to test.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:15 am

Hi:
Question will be: Which Authority issued your A&P license?
If FAA, You only have to change your address. For that, You may use an webpage link to your local FSDO.
If your license was issued from another Authority, last I check, there was no way to “convert” it to a FAA A&P, and You will have to get from FAA’s clerk an authorization to take first 3ea written examinations and them Aural- Practical, with an FAA’s Designated Mechanic Examinator. Form to receive from FAA clerk, will be an 8610-2..
This form is normally issued after finishing a dedicated school (like AMT) or, in Your case, based on experience.
For that You have to show Your currently A&P license and any other documentation that support Your’s previous activity, like Reference Letters (with contacts phone numbers) and or Training Certificates,...

About fees, if You have an US’s Green Card, no fee on 8610-2. If not, about $100.00
Examination fees, depend on arrange You make.
(11 yrs ago, I took written for $100 ea and Theoretical-Aurals for $ 1 000, total)

If Your A&P was not issued by FAA, You are not authorized to work independently and sign any job on any N- registered a/c. You may work and sign only the planes coming for The country which issued Your license. You may also work as a no licensed mechanic, for instance in any Heavy Duty Hangar or aircraft’s Shop, only again, You are not authorized to sign and someone with license, will have to check Your work, tested and if is it satisfacctory to him, sign it. Of course, expect a lower wage.

Welcome
Rgds
“An AME, with just a Mechanic Role”, as per one of our pilots
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)

7673mech

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 am

Eligibility to test.
There is a form you have to fill out and submit.
They then interview you and authorize to test for A&P.
I will post more details when I can.

7673mech

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 am

Go to FAA website and obtain form 8610-2.
Fill it out in duplicate.
Get written proof of 18 months or more of practical experience - letter of reference preferably from an FAA certificate holder.
Your Jordanian certificate - copy.
Call your FISDO and make an appointment for interview for eligibility to test.
Pass the interview - take your written then oral and practical test. They will give you a list of places where you can test.

pilotpip

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:28 am

Hello Franklyn,

I deal with my local FSDO regarding pilot certificate conversions on a regular basis. My suggestion to you would be to call the FSDO, and ask an inspector exactly what you will need for the conversion. They should be happy to help you, it's their job.
DMI

Apprentice

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 am

Franklin hi: As suggested, call FSDO and ask for Mx Inspector. They will nice with You. But do not expect conversion for Mx license

Rgds

Apprentice

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:12 am

But, again, best way is going to source:
CFR. Part: 65.3. Certification of foreign airmen other than flight crewmembers
CFR. Part 65 Subpart D. “MECHANICS”
Before calling an FSDO Inspector, it,s a good idea to had read related to mech 14 CFR Parts and have some knowledge.

Rgds