ayoungblood2
Topic Author

Pilot Career Change and Jetblue gateway?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:45 am

Hi all. I am a marketing major in my senior year of college, and ever since I could walk I've always loved planes. My grandfather flew on the PB-2Y in WWII and this is what really made me fall in love with flight. Anyways, I'll be graduating in May, and I'm really starting to realize that although I like marketing, I don't love it. Growing up I never seriously considered being a commercial pilot, despite putting in hours of plane spotting, spending tons of time on flight simulator, and committing every aircraft I have ever flown on to memory (I can list every aircraft that I have flown on every trip I have taken since the age of 5, and I'm 21 now). I'm sure on not the only one on this forum who loves flight this much, nor am I the only one who regrets not pursuing this more seriously as a career. Anyways, I digress. I am now seriously considering becoming a commercial pilot. I was wondering what the best way to accomplish this would be. I know Jetblue has the gateway program, but I was wondering if there is a more efficient and less expensive way to accomplish this. Anything advice helps. Thanks!

WPvsMW

Re: Pilot Career Change and Jetblue gateway?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 am

can you pass the USAF physical?

Woodreau

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:03 am

I’m assuming you are in the United States....
If so here are some resources to get you started:
https://youcanfly.aopa.org
https://clearedtodream.org

The biggest issue is usually money.

So before you get too invested in pursuing commercial aviation, find an aviation medical examiner and get a first class medical certificate. If you have issues getting a first class medical, at least you’ll know about it and can start the process of clearing the obstacles to getting one. You won’t get very far without a first class medical - you don’t need a first class medical to conduct flight training, you’ll need it to apply for your first airline job.

Find a local flight school and see about taking an intro flight. There you’ll find if this is something that interests you or not. Even if you don’t decide to pursue commercial aviation, but are still interested in flying, you can always stay in aviation as a hobby.

As far as flying in the military, it’s another way, but you are an commissioned officer and a leader of soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines first, pilot second. if you don’t get tracked into a pilot billet are you still okay being an officer and a leader?

If you choose to go into the military and you do end up flying it will delay your entry into the commercial airline pilot world at least 10 years after your commissioning date, so assuming you are commissioned today, the earliest you could conceivably start looking at considering applying at the airlines is 2028 when you’re around 31 when you complete your service obligation.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Woodreau

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 am

As far as the JetBlue gateway program do you meet any of the requirements for the six gateways?

Assuming you don’t have any aviation experience and don’t currently work at JetBlue, you are only eligible for one of the six gateways and you are already too old as you have to be no older than 23 when you complete their 4 year program (I am assuming you would be applying for their March 2018 application window)
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:40 pm

As far as flying in the military, it’s another way, but you are an commissioned officer and a leader of soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines first, pilot second. if you don’t get tracked into a pilot billet are you still okay being an officer and a leader?

First part is true, but learning and practicing leadership skills cannot be a bad outcome and is the reason military officers do well in the civilian arena, not just in aviation either. The second part is not true, commissioning is dependent on being tracked to a flying assignment (now UAV assignments are separate); failure to attain Wings standard will result in separation from the service unless individual wants and is offered a ground officer assignment. The one risk is failing at an academy after sophomore year—enlistment obligation.

GF