neomax
Topic Author

Why are B, D, F gates labeled at ATL while A, C, E are not?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:47 am

This is a really strange quirk I noticed recently while I passed through ATL. I have attached my pics below:

ilovelamp

Re: Why are B, D, F gates labeled at ATL while A, C, E are not?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:48 am

Those that you say are not labeled are, in fact, labeled. The signs are on the side of the jet bridges facing the ramp. They’re just not visible from the gatehouses.

neomax
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 am

ilovelamp wrote:
Those that you say are not labeled are, in fact, labeled. The signs are on the side of the jet bridges facing the ramp. They’re just not visible from the gatehouses.

But why the inconsistency? What's the point of doing it for one half and not the other?

ilovelamp

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:02 am

neomax wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

But why the inconsistency? What's the point of doing it for one half and not the other?

That I don’t know.

mtnwest1979

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 am

Perhaps as they replaced jetways since 1980 and added new gates as well they put on the illuminated signs. I am assuming those are the "youngest" of the jetways.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

fraspotter

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:31 am

How are the T Gates labeled?
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

ilovelamp

Why are B, D, F gates labeled at ATL while A, C, E are not?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:39 am

fraspotter wrote:
How are the T Gates labeled?

A mix of both. If you can, zoom in on the first picture above. The gate sign the 757 is parked at immediately behind the 737 in the foreground is just above the 757's left horizontal stabilizer. Then look right at the AA ERJ at gate T9. It’s got the higher, bigger sign.
Last edited by ilovelamp on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovelamp

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:40 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Perhaps as they replaced jetways since 1980 and added new gates as well they put on the illuminated signs. I am assuming those are the "youngest" of the jetways.

All of the gate signs are illuminated regardless of where they are located.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:03 am

Here’s a pilot answer: because that’s they they are. We tend to deal with reality as it is, not questioning the trivia that populates our days. We’re saving brain cells for really important stuff like engine failure at V1 or what are my chances with that F/A.

GF

jakubz

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:18 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Here’s a pilot answer: because that’s they they are. We tend to deal with reality as it is, not questioning the trivia that populates our days. We’re saving brain cells for really important stuff like engine failure at V1 or what are my chances with that F/A.

GF

Hopefully much better with the first compared to the second...
KORD>RJAA>KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of non-reving.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320 737, 747-400, 757, 767, 777, 787-8/9
Finally got on a 747!

I work for United Airlines, but I don't speak for the company.

jubguy3

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

This is a completely unnecessary and dangerous attitude to have towards anything in aviation, especially as a pilot. I guess I shouldn't breathe because the Rohingya are being killed in Myanmar, which is a more pressing issue than my own respiration. Whoops. I don't think the F/A will like that crap either. "Why use a condom?" "Stop asking questions." Next thing you know you're stuck in Omaha with a baby you don't want.

ilovelamp

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:10 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

This is a completely unnecessary and dangerous attitude to have towards anything in aviation, especially as a pilot. I guess I shouldn't breathe because the Rohingya are being killed in Myanmar, which is a more pressing issue than my own respiration. Whoops. I don't think the F/A will like that crap either. "Why use a condom?" "Stop asking questions." Next thing you know you're stuck in Omaha with a baby you don't want.

Either you’re not a pilot or just bad at a little internet humor. I agree with GF; from a pilot perspective, there is absolutely no reason to question why some concourses have Jet Bridge signs different from others. All that matters is they are lit and legible from a good distance at night. We have to deal with countless varieties of signage in our daily lives.

As pilots, we become good at discerning rather quickly what needs critical thought and what doesn’t need to waste our time. All I think GF’s point was it was the latter. Again, all in good fun.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, GF.

AST1Driver

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Simple answer is when the jetway was replaced. The new ones have the gate numbers on top. The old ones are on the side facing the ramp. Many of these jetways are original to the airport and date back to 1980. Delta and Southwest are both in the process of installing new ones.