neomax
Topic Author

Are simultaneous intersecting landings a thing?

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:18 am

In the same way that intersecting takeoffs are a thing (two different perpendicular runways are simultaneously in use for takeoff operations (ie. JFK, LGA, SFO), are simultaneous intersecting landings a thing (ie. Having two aircraft on simultaneous intersecting finals on perpendicular runways)?

njgtr82

Re: Are simultaneous intersecting landings a thing?

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:28 am

Yes done at EWR all the time I can confirm. Land and hold short operations are done at a few airports

77H

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:48 am

HNL does simulanious approaches on intersecting runways 4R and 8L frequently.

77H

Kno

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:20 am

This happened to me at BOS once and it was a shocking way to learn that these are normal operations to say the least.

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:33 am

Kno wrote:
it was a shocking way to learn that these are normal operations to say the least.

Why? It's just as common as takeoffs on intersecting runways.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Kno

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Kno wrote:
it was a shocking way to learn that these are normal operations to say the least.

When you're landing on a runway and a plane is landing at the exact same time on a crossing runway and you've never experienced it before in 27 years of flying several times a year or even heard of such operations as a life long aviation enthusiast the thought that it might be a mistake crosses your mind - the other plane stopped short and exited before the runways cross but I had previously assumed you'd leave the runway completely clear incase of emergency, as in no crossing traffic.

As far as take offs on intersecting runways, in what situations are both planes rolling for take off at the exact same time and runways cross? I haven't experienced this either.

Acey

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:18 am

Kno wrote:
As far as take offs on intersecting runways, in what situations are both planes rolling for take off at the exact same time and runways cross? I haven't experienced this either.

Depends at what angle they cross and how far down they intersect... but that used to be ORD on both the north side and south side all day long. A somewhat less precarious situation than LAHSO. They run LAHSO all day long at MIA, don't they?
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

kordcj

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:53 am

At ORD sometimes 4L and 9L (now 9R) were used for departures, but never at the exact same time. I recall a staggered takeoff between the two runways. O’Hare tower was a real treat to listen to back then. I think that mode of operation is gone.

I remember many arrivals on 9R and watching approaching aircraft land on 4R
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

jupiter2

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 am

SYD used to do simultaneous intersecting landings before the parallel runway was built. Now on calm wind days and a quiet operating period, they will do SODROPS, simultaneous opposite direction runways ops. Landings will be on 34L, while they will do departures on 16L and 34L for the heavier flights.

N353SK

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:54 am

kordcj wrote:
At ORD sometimes 4L and 9L (now 9R) were used for departures, but never at the exact same time. I recall a staggered takeoff between the two runways. O’Hare tower was a real treat to listen to back then. I think that mode of operation is gone.

I remember many arrivals on 9R and watching approaching aircraft land on 4R

WIth a south wind it used to be common for ORD to land on 10 (now 10L), 14R (now 15), and 22R while departing 9R.

jeffrey1970

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:42 am

I have seen it happen at DFW.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

BravoOne

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 am

Has been common practice at SFO as for over 50+ years.

jfklganyc

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 am

JFK 13L and 22L is done all the time.

They dont intersect.

It is weird being at 200 feet and seeing a plane cross you at a 90 degree angle at same altitude.

They are uncoordinated approaches

osupoke07

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 pm

jeffrey1970 wrote:

DFW doesn't have any intersecting runways though?
MD82, MD83, MD88, B717, B732, B733, B735, B737, B738, B739, B752, B763, B77W, CR2, CR7, CR9, A320

mjoelnir

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm

It is a dangerous practice done in the USA. If you are landing you should have the airspace in continuance of your runway free to be able to go around. Nobody should be able to cross into that airspace while you do the landing and perhaps need to go around. What I have seen at traffic direction on European airports, that is a situation carefully avoided.

If somebody does not like this post, he can argue it.

Thenoflyzone

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:46 pm

LAHSO (land and hold short operations) is required for simultaneous arrivals on crossing runways. The aircraft with the LAHSO restriction has to meet the landing distance requirements set out for each airport/runway layout.

YOW landing runway 25 & 32 is done all the time. Dash-8 landing on runway 25 with LAHSO restrictions, with another arrival on runway 32 at the same time who has full length. Both planes can touchdown at the exact same time, and it's perfectly legal.

Same thing at YQB, simultaneous landings on both runway 24 & 29.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

ro1960

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:57 pm

This type of operation exists at AMS although the runways just form a T. I was surprised it's allowed. See thread here:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=776439

ro1960

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:59 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Has been common practice at SFO as for over 50+ years.

I think it's only takeoffs not landings.

BravoOne

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Yes, I agree with your correction. I have only landed on the 01's a couple of times, but one would have to imagine that it was being used for both T.O. and landings

26point2

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 pm

PHL regularly has aircraft alternating landings on intersecting runways 35 and 27R. Happens most days but occasionally requires a go around when the timing is off I don’t accept LAHSO instructions...it’s optional you know. Most generally will not accept.

33lspotter

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Kno wrote:
This happened to me at BOS once and it was a shocking way to learn that these are normal operations to say the least.

While there are a number of different BOS configurations that have simultaneous intersecting landings (including 27/33L), there are also LAHSO operations for 27/22L (27 holds short of 22L).

mjoelnir

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm

ro1960 wrote:
This type of operation exists at AMS although the runways just form a T. I was surprised it's allowed. See thread here:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=776439

At ZRH it is banned. The reason for the ban is, that it is judged dangerous.

In FRA no landings at all on 18/36, because its path crosses all other runways. 18/36 is today only used for take offs to the south. The reason for not using 18/36 for landings is, that it is judged dangerous. 18/36 is a 4000 m runway and offers at least 2,600 m before it crosses the first 07/25.
Last edited by mjoelnir on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atcsundevil

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:23 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
It is a dangerous practice done in the USA. If you are landing you should have the airspace in continuance of your runway free to be able to go around. Nobody should be able to cross into that airspace while you do the landing and perhaps need to go around. What I have seen at traffic direction on European airports, that is a situation carefully avoided.

I'm not sure that you know enough about LAHSO to argue that it's dangerous. It simply wouldn't be used at some of the busiest airports in the US if there were an overriding safety risk. Intersecting runways are obviously more complex than parallel — it's generally less efficient and more hazardous — but rules on LAHSO are pretty clearly written to ensure safety.

mjoelnir

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:42 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

I'm not sure that you know enough about LAHSO to argue that it's dangerous. It simply wouldn't be used at some of the busiest airports in the US if there were an overriding safety risk. Intersecting runways are obviously more complex than parallel — it's generally less efficient and more hazardous — but rules on LAHSO are pretty clearly written to ensure safety.

Than explain to me how you can be 100% sure that no other airplain crosses your path when you do a go around. Just that it is done in the USA does not make it safe, while other administration strictly ban it.

Quote Wikipedia:

Land and Hold Short Operations is an air traffic control procedure for aircraft landing and holding short of an intersecting runway or point on a runway, to balance airport capacity and system efficiency with safety.
Its use is voluntary: if a pilot denies LAHSO clearance the Air Traffic Controller must revector the aircraft to ensure adequate separation from other aircraft landing or departing an intersecting runway or crossing down field. A heightened level of situational awareness is necessary, and student pilots or pilots not familiar with LAHSO should not participate in the program.
Although used in the US, many countries do not permit LAHSO clearances, and some airlines' operating procedures do not allow their acceptance in countries that do permit them.

Quote: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Lan ... Operations

Description
LAHSO is an acronym for a procedure used mainly in the USA and stands for "Land and Hold Short Operations." If LAHSO is to be used by ATC in the USA, the FAA requires that the runways involved have:

A hold short line on the landing runway prior to the intersecting runway or taxiway
Holding position signs on both sides of the runway adjacent to the runway hold lines.
A sign with a white inscription on a red background is installed adjacent to these holding position markings.
Pilots receiving and accepting ATC LAHSO instructions in the form "Clear to land Runway 'AA', Hold Short of Runway 'BB'," must either exit Runway 'AA', or stop at the holding position prior to runway 'BB'.

Under FAA rules, ATC may authorise LAHSO on a dry runway only if the following conditions are also met:

The runways are reported as clear and dry
Weather is better than 1000 ft. ceiling and 3 miles visibility with no tailwind
Instructions are issued that restrict aircraft from entering the intersecting runway or taxiway being used by other aircraft
Traffic information is acknowledged by the pilots of both aircraft
The distance from runway threshold to the intersection involved is provided to the flight crew on request
The distance from the landing threshold to the intersection is assessed as adequate for the landing aircraft category.
Related FAA rules require that if the runway is wet, ATC may only authorise LAHSO if the following additional conditions are also met:

The airport concerned holds a specific approval for particular runway/runway or runway/taxiway combinations
The runway pavement surface and friction measurements comply with criteria established by the FAA
Runway braking action is reported as good
The runway is not reported as contaminated.
Under FAA procedures, pilots are not required to accept a LAHSO clearance but if they do, the pilot-in-commands are expected to satisfy themselves that their aircraft can safely land and stop within the Available Landing Distance, which ATC will provide upon request. If landing long becomes likely, then a go around or rejected landing is expected rather than the possibility of violating a LAHSO clearance.

It should be noted that some non-US airlines specifically prohibit the acceptance of LAHSO on safety grounds based upon their operational risk assessment procedures.

I think I can assume that there are some experts that deem LAHSO dangerous, so just to tell me, that I do not know what I am talking about, or everything done in the USA is safe, is quite arrogant.
Last edited by mjoelnir on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hitower3

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:42 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
In FRA no landings at all on 18/36, because its path crosses all other runways. 18/36 is today only used for take offs to the south. The reason for not using 18/36 for landings is, that it is judged dangerous. 18/36 is a 4000 m runway and offers at least 2,600 m before it crosses the first 07/25.

This is absolutely correct. Just to nitpick, the north-south oriented runway in FRA is identified as "Runway 18" and not "18/36" because it is absolutely never used in north direction, for the reason you correctly mentioned.

Best regards,
Hendric

Noshow

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Runway 18 is a pure takeoff runway to the south only for legal reasons. Approaches were never certified. (However at least one small ac has landed there during an emergeny).
The reason for this strange utilisation was to guide heavies on takeoff to the south over the least populated areas around for noise abatement instead of flying over the cities of Mainz and Wiesbaden to the west.

Landings on 18 West would have approach paths over the posh taunus neighborhoods that are even more noise sensitive...

Web500sjc

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:00 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Than explain to me how you can be 100% sure that no other airplain crosses your path when you do a go around. Just that it is done in the USA does not make it safe, while other administration strictly ban it.

Quote Wikipedia:

Land and Hold Short Operations is an air traffic control procedure for aircraft landing and holding short of an intersecting runway or point on a runway, to balance airport capacity and system efficiency with safety.
Its use is voluntary: if a pilot denies LAHSO clearance the Air Traffic Controller must revector the aircraft to ensure adequate separation from other aircraft landing or departing an intersecting runway or crossing down field. A heightened level of situational awareness is necessary, and student pilots or pilots not familiar with LAHSO should not participate in the program.
Although used in the US, many countries do not permit LAHSO clearances, and some airlines' operating procedures do not allow their acceptance in countries that do permit them.

Quote: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Lan ... Operations

Description
LAHSO is an acronym for a procedure used mainly in the USA and stands for "Land and Hold Short Operations." If LAHSO is to be used by ATC in the USA, the FAA requires that the runways involved have:

A hold short line on the landing runway prior to the intersecting runway or taxiway
Holding position signs on both sides of the runway adjacent to the runway hold lines.
A sign with a white inscription on a red background is installed adjacent to these holding position markings.
Pilots receiving and accepting ATC LAHSO instructions in the form "Clear to land Runway 'AA', Hold Short of Runway 'BB'," must either exit Runway 'AA', or stop at the holding position prior to runway 'BB'.

Under FAA rules, ATC may authorise LAHSO on a dry runway only if the following conditions are also met:

The runways are reported as clear and dry
Weather is better than 1000 ft. ceiling and 3 miles visibility with no tailwind
Instructions are issued that restrict aircraft from entering the intersecting runway or taxiway being used by other aircraft
Traffic information is acknowledged by the pilots of both aircraft
The distance from runway threshold to the intersection involved is provided to the flight crew on request
The distance from the landing threshold to the intersection is assessed as adequate for the landing aircraft category.
Related FAA rules require that if the runway is wet, ATC may only authorise LAHSO if the following additional conditions are also met:

The airport concerned holds a specific approval for particular runway/runway or runway/taxiway combinations
The runway pavement surface and friction measurements comply with criteria established by the FAA
Runway braking action is reported as good
The runway is not reported as contaminated.
Under FAA procedures, pilots are not required to accept a LAHSO clearance but if they do, the pilot-in-commands are expected to satisfy themselves that their aircraft can safely land and stop within the Available Landing Distance, which ATC will provide upon request. If landing long becomes likely, then a go around or rejected landing is expected rather than the possibility of violating a LAHSO clearance.

It should be noted that some non-US airlines specifically prohibit the acceptance of LAHSO on safety grounds based upon their operational risk assessment procedures.

I think I can assume that there are some experts that deem LAHSO dangerous, so just to tell me, that I do not know what I am talking about, or everything done in the USA is safe, is quite arrogant.

And there are some experts that deem LAHSO to be completely safe... if you don’t want to do it, it is up to you, but at some airports it is allowed, others airports do it on a daily basis, and still others are prohibited.

Back on topic, there are runway combinations where crossing landings are conducted, without LAHSO. In these cases, the runway crosses near the approach end, and the aircraft are separated in such a way that no aircraft will be passing through the intersection at once, similar to takeoff and landing combinations at crossing runway airports.

For instance PHL does landings to 35 and 27R, it requires more spacing and vigilance. The aircraft for 35 will generally cross the intersection about 2 miles behind the last arrival for 27R and 2 miles prior to the next. The crossing for the runways is about ⅓ of the way down 35 and in the first 2000 feet of 27R.
Boiler Up!

evank516

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Fairly certain LAHSO is done at LGA regularly and I'm pretty sure I've experienced quite a few of them first hand. They don't do simultaneous take offs, but one runway is used for take offs and the intersecting runway is used for landings. So if you're taking off on Runway 4, they're using 31 for landings. Take offs on runway 31 mean landings on either 22 or 4, as do take offs on runway 13 as runway 13 is very very rarely used for landings anymore.

mjoelnir

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Noshow wrote:
Runway 18 is a pure takeoff runway to the south only for legal reasons. Approaches were never certified. (However at least one small ac has landed there during an emergeny).
The reason for this strange utilisation was to guide heavies on takeoff to the south over the least populated areas around for noise abatement instead of flying over the cities of Mainz and Wiesbaden to the west.

Landings on 18 West would have approach paths over the posh taunus neighborhoods that are even more noise sensitive...

18/36 was build for the US Airforce to make operations safer by reducing the need to land or take off in heavy crosswinds.

The limitation to take off only and than only to the south came after the US Airforce left FRA. At least the US Airforce did not have this restrictions.

That the 18 is not used for takeoffs and both 18 and 36 not for landings is for safety reasons. Landings on 18 would come from the south, the only one you could operate LAHSO on, the Taunus is to the north.

KCaviator

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 pm

LAHSO on RWY 9 and 12 at MIA is common.

KCaviator

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:40 pm

evank516 wrote:
Fairly certain LAHSO is done at LGA regularly and I'm pretty sure I've experienced quite a few of them first hand. They don't do simultaneous take offs, but one runway is used for take offs and the intersecting runway is used for landings. So if you're taking off on Runway 4, they're using 31 for landings. Take offs on runway 31 mean landings on either 22 or 4, as do take offs on runway 13 as runway 13 is very very rarely used for landings anymore.

Just because they use one runway for takeoff and another for landing (and they happen to intersect) doesn’t automatically make it LAHSO.

To be considered LAHSO, an aircraft would have to be taking off and landing on intersecting runways simultaneously. This absolutely does not happen at LGA.

ro1960

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Reading the various answers here and in the other thread just makes things more confusing. Why is it OK in some places and not in others? Crossing an active 25R/07L is not allowed at BCN (planes go around the 07 end) yet at many airports landing aircraft cross the inner active runway when used for takeoffs like at CDG. Of course they do it when cleared and we all understand that in normal operations everything is done so that aircraft don't "meet" at the intersection. Yet a risk exists and is considered manageable?

arcticcruiser

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:45 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Noshow wrote:

18/36 was build for the US Airforce to make operations safer by reducing the need to land or take off in heavy crosswinds.

The limitation to take off only and than only to the south came after the US Airforce left FRA. At least the US Airforce did not have this restrictions.

That the 18 is not used for takeoffs and both 18 and 36 not for landings is for safety reasons. Landings on 18 would come from the south, the only one you could operate LAHSO on, the Taunus is to the north.

You are mixing up the runway numbers. It is runway 18 only and only for take-offs. The reasons being noise, noise, NIMBYs, and local politics. And Noshow is right. Landing on 18 would take the approach over Taunus. You do know which direction the numbers refer to?

evank516

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:53 pm

KCaviator wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Just because they use one runway for takeoff and another for landing (and they happen to intersect) doesn’t automatically make it LAHSO.

To be considered LAHSO, an aircraft would have to be taking off and landing on intersecting runways simultaneously. This absolutely does not happen at LGA.

I believe LAHSO is an instruction handed out by ATC. My 757 lands on 4 with an aircraft lined up and waiting on 13, we exit just shy of the intersection and the aircraft takes off from 13. I've seen it plenty of times.

DAL763ER

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:12 pm

The ability to use LAHSO is also airline-dependent. I know for sure British Airways procedure doesn't allow accepting LAHSO. At my flight school in the Bay Area, we were also advised not to accept a LAHSO clearance to avoid the risk of an incursion.

Acey559

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:22 pm

DAL763ER wrote:
The ability to use LAHSO is also airline-dependent. I know for sure British Airways procedure doesn't allow accepting LAHSO. At my flight school in the Bay Area, we were also advised not to accept a LAHSO clearance to avoid the risk of an incursion.

Correct. My current airline doesn’t allow LAHSO but my previous two did.

GoSteelers

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:25 pm

evank516 wrote:

I believe LAHSO is an instruction handed out by ATC. My 757 lands on 4 with an aircraft lined up and waiting on 13, we exit just shy of the intersection and the aircraft takes off from 13. I've seen it plenty of times.

That’s not a LAHSO clearance. If your landing aircraft exits the runway before the departing aircraft starts its takeoff roll, that is a normal operation. A LAHSO would be if the departure is issued and starts takeoff before the landing aircraft completes the landing process. Again, as stated above, it is a heavily regulated and restricted ATC issued procedure.

KCaviator

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:02 pm

evank516 wrote:
KCaviator wrote:
evank516 wrote:

That is not a LAHSO clearance. The aircraft you see on the runway received a “line up and wait” clearance. To be considered LAHSO, that aircraft would have to be cleared for takeoff while your aircraft would have to accept a clearance to HOLD SHORT of the intersecting runway.

I fly into LGA as a pilot on a monthly basis. This DOES NOT happen at LGA.

timz

Re: simultaneous intersecting landings a thing?

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:52 pm

People in this thread like the word "simultaneous" -- they use it to mean "happening a minute or two apart", like takeoffs at SFO.

Would a 757 landing at LGA ever accept a LAHSO, if asked?

jeffrey1970

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm

osupoke07 wrote:
jeffrey1970 wrote:

DFW doesn't have any intersecting runways though?

I misunderstood. At Dallas I saw another plane land next to ours.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

ro1960

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 pm

timz wrote:
People in this thread like the word "simultaneous" -- they use it to mean "happening a minute or two apart", like takeoffs at SFO.

I seems you have never been to SFO. Unless you mean on the intersecting runways. Otherwise I suggest you watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEc-fsdeBgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLiZCkVQwqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cId1lDPJK0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfuwMBBfs0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEE35V5m98Y

Having experienced it many times I must say it's pretty cool!

vikkyvik

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:56 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Kno wrote:

Was pretty surprising the first time I was on an aircraft that did it at BOS.

Part of it is that it's not like there is 10000 feet of runway prior to the intersection. We were landing on 22L, and another aircraft was landing on 27. The runways intersect somewhere around 7000 and 6000 feet from the thresholds, respectively.

At BOS, takeoffs on intersecting runways happen one after the other, to my knowledge, not at the same time.

Thread I posted at the time, and some interesting opinions on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=737075
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Web500sjc

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:47 am

timz wrote:

Would a 757 landing at LGA ever accept a LAHSO, if asked?

LGA doesn’t seam to be approved for LAHSO operations, there are no charted LAHSO lines on the taxi diagram or the runway charts.
Boiler Up!

timz

Re: simultaneous intersecting

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:21 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Otherwise I suggest you watch these videos

No simultaneous intersecting takeoffs/landings in his videos, of course.