wannaflybaby
Topic Author
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:54 am

Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:47 am

is there any information, journal, cite, or manuals for me about finding an rodents on an aircraft?
it's important for me to complete my study, thanks
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 12147
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 pm

I think you need to expand more in your post to explain in more detail what you are seeking.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Crew: "Mouse found in cockpit."

Maintenance: "Cat installed."


And I second the comment by zeke.


David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
JAGflyer
Posts: 3514
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:31 am

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Boeing AFAIK does have a procedure in their maintenance manuals for removal of vermin/rodents. The methods I have heard range from applying poison at the seat(s) where bugs were spotted at a minimum all the way to a full fumigation of the aircraft over several hours to kill anything present inside the aircraft at the extreme. The airline I work for operates extensively to the Caribbean and we've had reports of bugs, small lizards, and mice on the aircraft from time to time.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!
 
RetiredWeasel
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 pm

The State of Hawaii Ag Dept? use to inspect aircraft arriving from Guam for brown tree snakes. The snake free state actually found a few from what I heard. Unsure if they still do that.
 
Max Q
Posts: 6158
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 am

Rodents are an issue on aircraft occasionally although not as big a
problem as ships have lived with for
hundreds of years !


A rat was spotted on one of our 767’s
a few years ago


Since it couldn’t be ‘tracked down’ the aircraft was taken out of service, sealed
up and fumigated



Don’t know if they found the offender
but there were no more sightings..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.
 
MatthewDB
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 am

Fly it to North Dakota in the winter, drain the water and leave it for the night. Any vermin will be dead in the morning.
 
CCGPV
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:04 am

I've been on flights in Africa where maintenance crews spray an unknown chemical down the isles with passengers in the seats. Happened in Senegal and South Africa.

That always worried me.
I have all day.
 
SAAFNAV
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:39 am

CCGPV wrote:
I've been on flights in Africa where maintenance crews spray an unknown chemical down the isles with passengers in the seats. Happened in Senegal and South Africa.

That always worried me.


What worries you?

It's not an unknown chemical, it is permethrin.

The WHO requires disinfection of aircraft coming from areas with insect-borne infectious diseases like malaria and Zika fever. Those illnesses worry me quite a bit more than what's in the bottle.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator
 
wannaflybaby
Topic Author
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:54 am

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:35 am

zeke wrote:
I think you need to expand more in your post to explain in more detail what you are seeking.


what i wanna search is can all of you explain to me is there any procedures to do fumigation, or rodent handling, cause i've been search it on the google but not found it..

i search the literature, or some kind of procedure of that kind of maintenance

is that procedure is handled by AME? or handled by third party (i.e pest control company)

thanksss
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 6997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 am

wannaflybaby wrote:
is that procedure is handled by AME? or handled by third party (i.e pest control company)

thanksss


We have a third-party handle it with maintenance oversight.

The procedure is contained in our general maintenance manual. None of our AMM's contain any information concerning pest removal.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
 
wannaflybaby
Topic Author
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:54 am

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:03 pm

fr8mech wrote:
wannaflybaby wrote:
is that procedure is handled by AME? or handled by third party (i.e pest control company)

thanksss


We have a third-party handle it with maintenance oversight.

The procedure is contained in our general maintenance manual. None of our AMM's contain any information concerning pest removal.


can i have that copied of your general maint manual sir?
i wanna to make that for my studies on rodent on aircraft analyses

thankss
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 1973
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:41 pm

There are trained and licensed pest control companies and people who specialize. I am sure that every airline/airport has contracts with companies. And the people who work on planes may not be the people who work in other parts of the airport. There are less obvious and more effective ways of using permethrin than as mentioned above.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
User avatar
larshjort
Posts: 1441
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:54 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:46 pm

I worked for a scandinavian airline that had wetleased an aircraft to a west african airline. It went without a hitch for the 6 months the contract lasted. However on the first leg of the flight home the FO spots a rather large spider in the cockpit and they decide to return. The aircraft was fumigated and they flew home again.
When we did an A check afterwards, most weren't too happy about it and the unlucky guy who got the cockpit was pretty mad at us when he found the plastic spider we had placed in there.
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,
 
CCGPV
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:00 pm

SAAFNAV wrote:
CCGPV wrote:
I've been on flights in Africa where maintenance crews spray an unknown chemical down the isles with passengers in the seats. Happened in Senegal and South Africa.

That always worried me.


What worries you?

It's not an unknown chemical, it is permethrin.

The WHO requires disinfection of aircraft coming from areas with insect-borne infectious diseases like malaria and Zika fever. Those illnesses worry me quite a bit more than what's in the bottle.


Permethrin is pretty bad stuff around pets and the like. I treat lots of things with it and take much more precautions (as indicated to do so by the MSDS) than the airlines did.
I have all day.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 12147
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:55 pm

wannaflybaby wrote:
zeke wrote:
I think you need to expand more in your post to explain in more detail what you are seeking.


what i wanna search is can all of you explain to me is there any procedures to do fumigation, or rodent handling, cause i've been search it on the google but not found it..

i search the literature, or some kind of procedure of that kind of maintenance

is that procedure is handled by AME? or handled by third party (i.e pest control company)

thanksss


Search aircraft fumigation should give some results.

For Airbus aircraft the process is in the aircraft maintenance manual. They used to use SOXAL PESTIGAS 15-20 years ago, now the just use CO2 for rodents and reptiles.

Common insecticide is often used first as roaches lay their eggs before passing. Between 750-2500 kg (depending on the size of the aircraft) of CO2 is put into the cabin for up to 12 hrs.

Cabin seats can be treated with hot air or steam to get rid of crabs.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 6997
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:23 am

wannaflybaby wrote:
can i have that copied of your general maint manual sir?


No, you can not. It's an internal document. It basically says the what I wrote.

Aircraft maintenance management is responsible to ensure that adequate steps have been taken to address the bug/pest infestation. If unable to confirm the elimination of the pest, further action may be deferred to re-check the aircraft at a later time. If an outside vendor is used, aircraft maintenance management retains the responsibility to ensure elimination of the pest.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
 
7673mech
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:10 am

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:29 pm

We contract out fumigation for bugs and take care of rodents ourselves.
Typically set traps for a minimum of eight hours closing of doors. Put traps in very specific areas.
 
User avatar
BaconButty
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Rodents (mice, rat, cockroaches) handling on an aircraft

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:02 pm

zeke wrote:
Cabin seats can be treated with hot air or steam to get rid of crabs.

I take it you're referring to the kind of crab infestation you might see on a flight back from Magaluf, rather than, say, Male?
Down with that sort of thing!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SAAFNAV and 6 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos