SID's And STAR's

Wed May 03, 2000 12:55 am

Why do Airfields have SID's and STAR's?
Who agrees and promulgates them?

RE: SID's And STAR's

Wed May 03, 2000 1:27 am

SID's and STAR's exist primarily to cut down on frequency congestion and pilot/controller workload. If everyone is playing from the same sheet of music and knows what is going to happen, then it makes life simpler for everyone involved.

Example of a clearence without SID's and STAR's from memphis to st. louis:
KMEM direct MAW direct CGI CGI 335 degree radial to QBALL then STL 156 degree Radial to CHIKN direct KSTL.

Example of a clearence with SID's and STAR's (same route):
Memphis 5 depature MAW QBALL 3 arrival KSTL

See the differance? Lots easier for both parties involved.

The FAA decides which airports will have SID's and STAR's, then after a period of industry review they are put into use.

Oh yeah.. almost forgot! SID's are called DP's now (Departure Procedures). Old habits die hard.

ATR, Don't Forget...

Wed May 03, 2000 2:19 am *convenient* STARS make it for you when they tell you to hold at TRAKE or QBALL....

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Thu May 04, 2000 7:10 am

Oh the nightmares!!!!

You know, I only seem to hold when its VFR on a Sunday... what a silly place STL is!

RE: SID's And STAR's

Tue May 09, 2000 9:42 am

STICKBOY!!!! Is that you????? Silly little ATR pilot... go hold at TRAKE with captain honeywell deferred. Welcome to my world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HAAAAAA.

Tue May 09, 2000 2:10 pm

Hold without an autopilot????

You gotta be kidding!

They Changed Sids?!

Fri May 12, 2000 2:26 pm

Damn it all! Just as I was beginning to learn about instrument flying.

It's like the time when I tried to file a flight plan for a PA161-28 (Piper Warrior). The FSS guy didn't know what I was talking about because they changed it to P28A! Glad I was notified about that one... I only found out about that after reaching another FSS guy.

Oh well... Have a good one!

- Neil Harrison