Big777jet
Topic Author

Who Choose Sked For Pilot?

Wed Jun 21, 2000 1:45 pm

Who choose schedule for pilots to fly on that route? Do some pilots who wants to fly on that route with approval by airlines? How do they arrange if weather delay or aircraft forced ground cancellation or swap aircraft e.i 737 to 757 at the same route? Please explain how they do that. Thanks.  

aaron atp

Wed Jun 21, 2000 2:26 pm

For pilots who fly scheduled ops, they bid on a line at the beginning of each month; Seniority rules. Dispatch just "works it out" in the case of unexpected events.

As for a the other question, it would be a matter of airline policy and whether or not the pilot is typed/current in those aircraft.

That's the beauty of unsched ops, you just do what you have to do when you're told to do it... none of that "I'm tired of this line" bs.

aaron

RE: Who Choose Sked For Pilot?

Wed Jun 21, 2000 11:17 pm

Or if you're lucky enough to be on reserve status like some of us, you can expect short notice call ups and weekends.

Your schedule basically depends on your domocile, seniority, and the aircraft the airline flies there. Although my airline flies both DC-9s and MD-80s out of my base, I'm locked into the DC-9 for the next 18 months (even though I have a Type on both) due to my relatively low seniority, reserve status, and the fact that I started out on DC-9s.

I can't speak for every situation, but in the case of a situation where there is an equipment change, crew going illegal, etc--a reserve crew will have to be called in. This is a very tricky situation if it happens away from a hub where a replacement aircraft/and or crew cannot be scheduled.

Incidently, this may be straying away a little bit, but a lot of small regional airlines are now basing their crews at "remote outposts". An example is as follows: Mesaba Aviation. Even though Mesaba is based out of MSP, its crews are domociled in such places as Wausau, Escanaba, and Rhinelander. This is due to the fact that their aircraft RON at these locations, and basing their crews there saves them big bucks!!--in hotel bills.

Other examples are Piedmont which has a crew base in New Bern, NC, Skywest--Yuma, etc. Bottom line is that scheduling is a very complex issue

albatross

RE: Who Choose Sked For Pilot?

Thu Jun 22, 2000 8:52 am

Every month Bid packages are published by the Scheduling Dept. for each Pilot Base and Equipment type
that show the pairings available. You bid based on your senority..if you are number 12 in senority then you only need make 12 choices..if no.215, well then you may not have much of a choice. Once you are awarded a line, many things happen that can change it; vacation, reccurrent training, equipment substitution, training pilots buying your trip, WX/ATC/MX delays and the like.

Pilot1113

Check This Out...

Fri Jun 23, 2000 12:33 pm

Check this site out for more information. It should answer all your questions:

http://www.jetcareers.com

- Neil Harrison