DL_Mech
Topic Author

Cut Here In Emergency

Sun Jun 25, 2000 9:59 pm

What is the purpose of these markings and how did they get their start on commercial aircraft? Is it a CAA/JAA requirement? What countries have them on their aircraft? I recall G-, VH-, B-H and 9V- aircraft with them. Thanks.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

L-188

RE: Cut Here In Emergency

Sun Jun 25, 2000 10:12 pm

I have an old U.S. Army manual somewhere that goes through each Army aircraft type and where the emergency exits are and where the cut throughs are. It was intended for crash rescue people.

I belive that is the original source for the cut through markings. The reason that they are there is so you know where you can cut through the fuselage and not hit ribs, braces, ductwork, ect. ect. ect.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jim

Fri Jul 07, 2000 8:48 pm

Yes they are area where there is no framework to impede a rescuer from cutting into the fuselage to help get people out. I believe the marks are required by the JAA, but not the FAA.

jim

richie

Fri Jul 07, 2000 10:18 pm

Actually they are required by the CAA only, in difference to the JAA.

na

Sat Jul 08, 2000 1:23 am

If its a requirement in some countries, why do some airplanes have them, some not - same type, same airline of course.
Example: Some SIA Jumbos are with, some without these red markings.
Virgin Atlantic had it on most airplanes in the old livery, but not on the new one.
You mention VH- registered planes carrying these stickers. I cannot remember to have seen a Qantas 747 here in FRA with them.
Cathay Pacific yes, but not on B-HOX, the allgreen Jumbo.