Mriya225
Topic Author

Forward Swept Wing

Sun Jul 16, 2000 4:35 am

Anyone out there ever flown an a/c with forward swept wings? I've had the mechanics explained to me but I'd like to understand the advantages or disadvantages from a pilots perspective. Can you feel the difference in flight? At what point are you able to manuever your aircraft with the forward sweep that a standard aft swept wing would not be sufficient? Would an aft swept wing be merely less than sufficient or would it be a liablity? What about disadvantages?
All replies will be greatly appreciated!

dan-air

RE: Forward Swept Wing

Sun Jul 16, 2000 12:01 pm

err Kimberley - how many forward-swept airplanes are there that you know of? Any russian ones are there?  

There are only two that I can think of - one was the Darpa modified tigershark research vehicle and the other - Thunderbird 2!

Mriya225
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2000 9:41 pm

One Russian a/c with the forward swept wing design is the Sukhoi S-37 "Berkut" (a fifth generation, supersonic, fighter). I would swear I had seen pictures of a biz jet outfitted with forward swept wings recently, but general aviation doesn't really grab me so I didn't bother to find out it's make/model. I know this wing style is unusual but there are a few out there.

fr8tdog

Mon Jul 17, 2000 1:37 am

The Bizjet that Mriya225 was talking about is the visionaire Vantage..... look at http://www.visionaire.com
its a Burt Rutan design. Who is one of the Greatest leading and cutting edge engineers of today. 

Mriya225
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2000 5:50 am

Fr8tdog,
You're an angel - thanks for the link!

Wow - when you said "cutting edge", you weren't just whistlin' Dixie! It's exotic, but really beautiful. I'm heading back to their site now to get a beat on the powerplant.

aaron atp

Hansa-jet

Mon Jul 17, 2000 6:46 am

I was suprised to find hansa-jet pictures in the database. I think ~50 of these were made...

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © John P. Stewart

Mriya225
Topic Author

RE: Hansa-jet

Mon Jul 17, 2000 11:23 am

What a cute little jet - (don't ya just love how I say that like I've got my own Super Hornet in the backyard?! You know, for those weekend "getaways").

Mon Jul 17, 2000 2:45 pm

One of the NASA experimental planes has a forward sweep wing, its one of those X planes, X-31 or something. All I remember from aerodynamics class is that a forward sweep wing has to be really strong otherwise it will snap off. Most of these forward sweep wings are craved out of a single piece of metal, that way it is really strong and also very expensive. The forward sweep wing has a special property, I think it is higher maneuverable, but I am not sure. The reason you don't see it around is the cost to manufacture it is very high.