A320 Aileron Droop.

Fri Aug 18, 2000 3:04 am

Can anyone explain how the aileron droops on a certain flap setting on the A320, and if this is true for other airbus types (or other aircraft types for that matter)?

RE: A320 Aileron Droop.

Fri Aug 18, 2000 8:46 am

I have not heard of any aileron droop, related to flap position, on a A320 nor do I see it in the General Familiarization manual. You may have seen movement related to the load alleviation function.

Fri Aug 18, 2000 9:02 am

On the 320,the ailerons are drooped by 5 degrees when flaps are selected.The reason is to keep as constant as possible the caracteristics of the airfoil,meaning without too great an airflow discontinuity over the wingspan.

Sat Aug 19, 2000 4:42 am

Thanks guys - but your replies are conflicting. Re the LAF, I hear that this is largely ineffective and some airlines have actually deleted this facility. Re- the droop, I have talked to pilots who say it exists, and others who have never heard of it. I guess if it is not in the manual, it must only be a figment.
Any body else who can confirm or deny the existence of the aileron droop?

VC-10

Sat Aug 19, 2000 7:02 am

Yes there is Aileron droop on the A320 & A340. You will have to wait till I am next in at work next Tue for me to dig out more details

Sat Aug 19, 2000 7:03 am

There is an aileron droop on the A300-600.

Minuteman

Sat Aug 19, 2000 7:10 am

I've observed lots of flight data from Airbus planes and have never seen a symmetric deflection of ailerons. However, that does not necessarily mean this option is available.

However, I CAN confirm that flaperons are available on the MD-11 and are used the 777.

JT8DJET

RE: B767 Aileron Droop.

Sat Aug 19, 2000 12:25 pm

The B767-300 has inboard aileron droop. It is mechanically driven from the flap drive system. As the flaps extend, the inboard ailerons will be lowered to 10 degs. As for the -200 & -400, I'm not sure.