Topic Author

Flight Crews: Opinions About Mexico

Sun Oct 29, 2000 1:36 pm

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if any commercial pilot in this forum flies regularly or has flown to Mexico.

If the answer is yes, what are your opinions and thoughts about flying to this country? What do you think, for example, about Mexico City's complex approach? The country's ATC system? Airport facilities?

Also, what do you think about non-aviation issues in Mexico? People's attitude toward you? Accomodations (if you've had to stay overnight)? Overall environment in this country?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

"... for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RE: Flight Crews: Opinions About Mexico

Wed Nov 01, 2000 9:42 pm

I have flown into Mexico and MEX numerous times. I don't find the arrival any more difficult than some other airports around the world. Of course I am flying aircraft with triple IRS's, GPS (some of them) and dual FMC's. But like anywhere, a thourough preflight and inflight breifings will pay dividends in safety.

Now I understand GA aircraft at some places are charged huge user fees, but I have only flown 121 ops down there so I'm not sure. AVWEB.COM had a thing awhile back about Mexico flying though.

The ATC system in Mexico I think is better than some of the other LA countries. Beware though, they will/may give you clearances below MEA's & MOCA's. It is pilot responsibility to maintain terrain separation.

People are very nice, however alot of crime in MEX.

As always, be wary of food and DON't DRINK THE WATER! When you stay in the better hotels, you are much safer about food, but I still avoid their water and ice. Be careful ordering drinks with ice and fresh salads (washed with water).

Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:04 am

It's just another airport.

The people are very respectful.

The cargo loaders are notoriously slow, and need to be watched when loading to assure the pallets are in their correct positions. I have noticed this is a major problem that I am not fond of.

And the women are HOT.

Fri Nov 10, 2000 9:32 am

I have flown into Mexico several times both as GA and 121. If you plan to fly there yourself you may want to reconsider unless you fly with someone who has done this before. The laws in Mexico are very different than here and local officials are frequently corrupt. When you land at a small Mexican airport the process for clearing customs (Aduana) can be confusing. There are several officials and forms to complete in a certain order. Add to that the problem of a different language. You must even pay a navaid fee to file a flight plan back home before you depart. (IFR) Be careful!!!!!