USAFHummer
Topic Author

ILS And Efis

Thu Nov 02, 2000 12:25 pm

Hi all,

This is about a 70% tech question and 30% flight sim question so I will post it on both boards.

On FS, you can go under EFIS and get those red boxes that mark the glidepath on an ILS approach. Can you get those boxes on a real aircraft??

Greg

Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

RE: ILS And Efis

Thu Nov 02, 2000 1:20 pm

You can have heads up display (I think Alaska is the only airline who has it installed on there aircraft), although it is EFIS, it is not what most people think of when they here EFIS. When you say EFIS people think the screens infront of the pilots.
Iain

Thu Nov 02, 2000 1:29 pm

Not that I know of -- Not on airliners anyway. I know of one system from Sierra Flight Systems which is based in Boise, Idaho that offers this feature superimposed on their EADI that not only simulates ILS beams but also offers it for any runway that is listed on the Jeppesen nav database. The only difference is that it's blue instead of red.

The system is aimed at the high-end General Aviation market and is currently being certified by the FAA. I have seen it working on an experimental aircraft and it is quite impressive. This system consists of two displays each capable of displaying the PFD info (ADI, spd tape, alt info and other guidance cues that look uncannily like an F-18 HUD); flight plan map that offers waypoint navigation "powered" by GPS; and electronic engine displays. On top of this, 3-D terrain and obstacle data are superimposed on the PFD display that are quite accurate (with GPS position).

Regards,
Nut

Fri Nov 03, 2000 5:20 am

Just a note: Crossair Saab 2000's also have HUD's

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © PixAir

Nicolas - Montreal

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2000 5:36 am

So if you wanted to fly an ILS approach, you would see the boxes if the aircraft had a HUD?

avt007

Fri Nov 03, 2000 5:46 am

Note; Horizon have had HUD on their Dash 8s for years.
EFIS is the screens on the instrument panel," electronic flight instrument system". HUD is a separate term and system.

Fri Nov 03, 2000 6:10 am

Yes you would see the boxes on the HUD.
AVT007 but the HUD is also falls in the catagory of Electronic Flight Instrumentn System.
Iain

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2000 7:31 am

Ok thanks

Fri Nov 03, 2000 8:39 am

Ianhol...Yes you would see the boxes on the HUD.

I beg to disagree with you. Technically you do have ILS guidances but not in the form of the boxes MS FS98 style that USAFHummer is talking about. Both the BAE and Flight Dynamics HUD (the two most used on airliners) provide guidance by having the pilot put "a big circle on top of a smaller one", not having the aircraft flying through a bunch of boxes.

Best Regards,
Nut

Fri Nov 03, 2000 9:03 am

MD11 Thanks for clarifing. I saw a program on the system a while ago and was trying to remember what they said. The amsuing part is the part I remember vividly is the part when they where talking about cleaning it.
Iain