alangirvan

Hawaiian Widebodies

Thu Nov 09, 2000 8:03 am

Article in Flight International about Hawaiian Airlines looking at retiring DC-10s, and replacing with either 767/777 or A330.

Given that Hawaii to US West Coast requires operations under 180 minute rules, how will Hawaiian achieve this on day one of operations? I think normally an airline has to operate a new type for a year before starting EROPS.

hawaiian717

RE: Hawaiian Widebodies

Thu Nov 09, 2000 11:25 am

The 777 is available with ETOPS on delivery; the airline still has to do some proving flights for the FAA.

I'm also not sure about the correctness of your statement that airlines have to operate a new type for a year before gaining ETOPS. Aloha started 737-700 flights between HNL/OGG and OAK not long after receiving them; though Aloha did have a coupe of ETOPS-rated 737-200s.

Presumably this issue has been dealt with, as the CEO of Hawaiian Airlines, Paul Casey, is quoted in the Flight International article as saying the DC-10 replacement will definately be a long-range twin.

Fri Nov 10, 2000 12:18 am

During the 2 months prior to the start of Aloha service to OAK, Aloha 737's were regular sights here in the Bay Area with crews doing proving runs.

Richard Silagi

Fri Nov 10, 2000 8:17 am

Greetings,

I'm not aware of all of the rules out there in regards to ETOPS, but American has started flights with the 767-300ER's out of Chicago, Los Angeles and San Franscico.
They will start shortly with flights out of Dallas. maybe this info will help you out.

Tue Nov 21, 2000 2:28 am

Delta also will be switching from L-1011 to 767-400 soon. The jet will be delivered ETOPS approved. As for Aloha and the 737-700 from OAK to OGG and HNL, God bless those who fly them. That jet is way to small for my tastes and the fare is pretty high too. When I am over water for those hours I want to be in the largest plane possible. I will hate to see the L-1011 retired from DL. It is the best jet ever.

Tue Nov 28, 2000 10:36 am

The 737-700 can't be too bad to fly between CA & HI. I mean UA, AA, & I think some others fly the 757 (also a Boeing narrowbody). Essentially, from a passenger perspective, the 737 is basically a shorter 757, since the width is the same. As long as it is safe, I wouldn't mind it. I mean, the FAA wouldn't have certified it if it wasn't safe.

scaredflyer21

Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:05 am

I wouldn't mind having a 757 for a over water trip!