Joge
Topic Author

Phone Jack

Thu Nov 16, 2000 4:06 am

Hi,

What is the phone jack for installed on (some) engines? I haven't seen anyone is using them.

Rgrds,
Jorgos T.
EFHK
Bula!

OPNLguy

RE: Phone Jack

Thu Nov 16, 2000 4:34 am

If you are refering to what looks like a 1/4" female recepticle (like those used for older stero headphones), those are located at various locations on the aircraft, Boeings, at least, and are part of the service interphone system. They allow the mechanics to communicate with the cockpit (usually with another mechanic there) in troubleshooting, calibrating, or repairing some types of problems during servicing.

As far as the ones near the engines are concerned, "trimming" an engine would be a good example of how they're used. The engine must be run, and one mechanic tweaks the fuel control unit settings at the engine, while another in the cockpit reports various engine settings.

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Buzz

Thu Nov 16, 2000 10:06 pm

Hi Joge, Buzz here. Yes, that's a place to plug in a headset cord. And it's not bad for some things. But it's close enough to the inlet to kill you if you use it ona running engine. I've often wondered why Douglas and Airbus put them there. On 737's and 757's it's back in the fuselage, so nothing gets eaten by the engine.
g'day

Joge
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2000 11:53 pm

Ok, Thanks for the answers!

Jorgos T.
EFHK
Bula!