JETPILOT
Topic Author

22 Planes Go Around At LGA And 3 Aborted TO's...

Wed Dec 13, 2000 6:39 pm

I was flying out of LGA today for a 8:10 AM push.

About that time a strong cold front past and the winds started to pick up to 44kts steady gusting to 60kts.

We were in a growing line of aircraft to depart. Maybe number 15 out of 30.

We watched for 2 hours as airplane after airplane went missed due to the intense winds. I counted 22 go arounds. No planes landed for 2 hours. Every one went missed. After numerous approaches the planes went to their alternates.

3 planes tried to get out but were unable to maintain heading down the runway and aborted their TO runs.

It was unbelievable. I never saw anything like it before. I can't believe they didn't close the airport.

JET

AS737900

RE: 22 Planes Go Around At LGA And 3 Aborted TO's...

Wed Dec 13, 2000 7:31 pm

Chicken Lower 48 pilots...   (just kidding, of course...)

OPNLguy

Thu Dec 14, 2000 2:12 am

Airports aren't closed (per se) for such conditions... If the runways were full of snow and ice, etc., then yes, the airport operating authority (Port of NY/NJ, in this case) would close the airport. If the winds, or for that matter, the visibility (fog, etc.) exceed proscribed limits, then it's up to each individual operator (airline, etc.) to maintain control their own operations. That's when pilots and dispatchers really start communicating and coordinating in earnest, and we either hold (airborne) for improvement in conditions, of divert the flight(s) to and appropriate alternate.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

miller22

Thu Dec 14, 2000 2:23 am

I think after Little Rock with AAL, Noone complained about not making that landing.

timz

Can We Hear More?

Thu Dec 14, 2000 7:19 am

I always wonder how much wind is too much, assuming no problems with visibility or slippery runway.

Were they trying the landings and departures on the same runway?

If the wind is gusting to 60, will takeoffs be difficult/impossible even if the wind is pretty much down the runway? In other words, were they unable to maintain heading in a fairly-constant crosswind, or was it that gusts from different directions would push them off line?

Thu Dec 14, 2000 8:01 am

I was listening to the Tower at LGA yesterday, all I only heard is aircraft departure(of course, very few), none of the aircraft were landing, and I heard one AA MD-80 reporting 20knots increase during the take off...pretty exciting!

Macro

Thu Dec 14, 2000 8:03 am

Sorry, little bit things missing...

Timz, LGA was really shut down one runway, the 04-22, only 13-31 was operating, and I see a USAir 737 making a visual approach to RWY31, of course, he didn't make it!

Bye!

JETPILOT
Topic Author

Sat Dec 16, 2000 12:40 pm

OPNLguy.... Airports are closed for such reasons. I came into SEA today in conditions similar. The airport was closed for 2 hours due to the winds. We made it in a few hours after they re-opened. It was still prety bad. We had an airspeed of +/- 15 kts.

The runway had a crosswind about 25 degrees from centerline at LGA. Landings and departures were off the same runway.