When ATC Controllers Have Emergency!

Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:54 am

Hi everybody!

What if a air traffic controllers had some personal emergencies(like: toilet),they can't just drop the microphone and go! or had to go to lunch. How long do they work a day?

Thanks!
macro

RE: When ATC Controllers Have Emergency!

Wed Dec 20, 2000 2:24 pm

Well they can hand the mic over to some one else. Also at Tower there is a person who monitors the whole operation and can speak on any frequency. In busy towers like LAX for instance they have a person for each controller. They basically put more eyes on what is going and an extra set of ears to make sure read backs are correct!
Iain

modesto2

Thu Dec 21, 2000 2:10 am

I was visiting Bay TRACON and watched numerous controller "hand-offs". When a controller take a break (which is quite frequently) the new controller comes to the console. The old guy explains what's happening (i.e. what flights are in the sector and what they are currently doing). Once the new guy understands what's going on, he takes control. However, the old guy will stay there for another couple of minutes to make sure everything is going smoothly. They made it look so easy!

Tue Jan 02, 2001 4:09 am

Hey Marco,
I'm an air traffic controller at Fort Worth Center, (ARTCC). I can't speak for all types of facilities but I pretty much can for EnRoute facilities like mine. First of all, if you are having symptoms of stomach flu or something like that, you will preplan this factor into your positioning. By this I mean that there are certainly times in which unless there is a real emergency, you may not be able to leave a radar position for 30-45 minutes because it is just too busy. We've all had those days from one time or another. On those days you would humbly avoid the busy rushes and take a position that would allow for a "quick get-a-way."

For your second question, "how long do they work a day?" I've been a center controller for thirteen years now, both at Cleveland Center and presently at Fort Worth Center. I've also been in two different work specialties/areas in each facility. The specifics of work assignments/crews usually change each year and are negotiated by management and the union. The number of specific work schedules are only limited by ones imagination and negotiating power as long as they meet a couple of requirements. 1. You have to work a forty hour week. 2. You can't work more than six days in a row. 3. You have to have eight hours off between shifts. 4. You can't work more than ten hours in a day. 5. You have the staffing to cover the peak traffic times.

Below is the schedule that I am currently on and have been for the last year. It is typical of what's called your rotating shift schedule.
Thursday 14:30 to 22:30
Friday 13:30 to 21:30
Saturday 0800 to 1600
Sunday 06:30 to 14:30
Sunday night mid 22:30 to 06:30 Monday morning.
Monday off
Tuesday off

As you can see there's two days where you have a "quick turn" but you also have a nice weekend break, (although it's not on a real weekend).

If you are interested in learning more about air traffic controllers please feel free to stop by my website and take a look around. There's a lot of information there. We have a new forum section as well and would like to invite the pilots out there to feel free to ask any ATC related question you may have about specific routes or ATC clearances you seem to always get but don't quite understand why.

Sincerely,
Michael Carlton
ATCafe
http://www.airtrafficcafe.com
Thanks for visiting Air Traffic Cafe'

iflycoach

Tue Jan 02, 2001 3:23 pm

Well if you want a basic idea rent Pushing Tin.

Wed Jan 03, 2001 2:50 am

Michael,

Nice ATC website! Thanks.

It's nice to get an experienced controller's point of view on subject matter.

Wed Jan 03, 2001 3:37 am

Thanks HeavyJet for your comments and for visiting our site.