Novelist Needs Your Help

Tue Jan 30, 2001 4:57 am

I am writing THE INFILTRATOR. Check it out next fall.
I have a few question regarding aircraft. I need some background info on smaller jets, that can carry about 20 men. I need names of styles. It needs an exterior small cargo bay hatch. Please give the term for the hatch lock. Please give the proper term for the stick.
I have one jet that is custom designed. Is there a specific Company that would do this kind of work, that could be mentioned in the book?
I need speed. I believe I am correct that the larger passenger jets travel 300 mph? I need the names of a few smaller, yet fast jets for this story. Something, the owner might store at a smaller airfield, and subcontract out, that can travel a distance of 2,414 miles, from Southern Californis to the Dominican Republic; is this distance possible in the smaller jets, without stopping to refuel?
Thank you all very much for your time. Your help is greately appreciated.

JETPILOT

RE: Novelist Needs Your Help

Tue Jan 30, 2001 7:07 am

The Gulfstream V has a 6,500 nm range and carries 19 people.

The Gulfstream IVSP has a range of 4,220nm and can carry 19 passengers.

Both are mach .80 jets in cruise. So they are fast.

You can do a photo search for these jets to see what they look like on the airliners.net homepage.

JET

VIflyer

Tue Jan 30, 2001 7:43 am

Jetpilot said it, pretty much your describing a Gulftream G-III thru G-V. Fast, carrys roughly 20 pax, biz-jet so it can fly into small runways. Either that or some other biz-Jet, Dassault Falcon, Cessna line of jets, etc.
I reject your reality and subsitute my own

OPNLguy

Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:54 am

http://www.ar-group.com/calc.htm

This will give you a time distance calculator between airports. Entering "LAX" for Los Angeles and "SDQ" for Santo Domingo, and 550 knots (assumed 450kt true air speed plus 100kt headwind) gives you about 5:15 enroute.

2,755 nm, 3,171sm (great circle)

Not sure if your "exterior small cargo bay hatch" description refers to an aft door that could be used inflight or on the ground (i.e. C-130 type) or something else. If so, Can't think of a bizjet type that's suitable without some poetic license.

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

aaron atp

Thu Feb 01, 2001 7:26 am

>>>I need names of styles.
-Citation X, Gulfstream III-V, Falcon 900/2000, Challenger, Global Express

>>>It needs an exterior small cargo bay hatch.
-Those listed above all have a hatch under the port engine large enough for a man to climb through. All but the gulfstreams and the global have folding steps that extend down to allow a crewman to climb inside for unloading. The Gulfstreams/Global are too high above the ground for this, as it would take an 8' ladder.

>>>Please give the term for the hatch lock.
-ummm... I use 'door latch' usually

>>>Please give the proper term for the stick.
-control column in most cases

>>>I have one jet that is custom designed. Is there a specific Company that would do this kind of work, that could be mentioned in the book?
-Elliott Aviation and McKinney Aerospace come to mind

>>>I need speed. I believe I am correct that the larger passenger jets travel 300 mph?
-The Citation X is the fastest at .92MMO (max cruise .91). You can expect average true airspeeds like 444 KTAS...

>>>I need the names of a few smaller, yet fast jets for this story.
-Lear 60/45, Hawker 800XP, Galaxy SPX, Citation Ultra/Excel

aaron

Pilot1113

Thu Feb 01, 2001 12:33 pm

Is this latch that you're talking about called the "Cooper latch"?

- Neil Harrison

HeavyCapt

Thu Feb 01, 2001 6:01 pm

It is not the "Cooper Vane". That keeps a 727's aft airstairs positively locked during flight. and just as a reference .80 is not considered fast. It is certainly faster than the vast majority of aircraft flying but rather run of the mill for large jets. .89, .87, .85 is fast but .80 is not really

Sat Feb 03, 2001 1:17 pm

Thank you all very much. Some things are so over my head. Everything HAD been, until I read some of the Postings in this group. I really appreciate all your input; and I can put most of it too good use. (everything which I can understand, that is.)  Smile~

L-188

Sat Feb 03, 2001 5:17 pm

Are you planning to need to have that hatch open in flight.

I don't know if the baggage compartment is accessible in flight on the Gulfstream or Falcon series but keep in mind that the cargo door on a Gulfstream opens inward(If I remember correctly). On a Falcon the door is hinged at the bottom and opens outward. It incorperates a couple of steps to aid access.

This would make the Gulfstream the better choice if the door has to open inflight. But the Falcon might be better if somebody has to scramble inside from the ground.

Just food for thought.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Wed Feb 07, 2001 12:53 am

Thank you, that was also importatnt!

Wed Feb 07, 2001 12:54 am

Thank you, that was also important!