US A333 PIT
Topic Author

Midsized Corporate Jets To Hawaii?

Wed Jan 31, 2001 11:19 am

A friend of mine is looking to buy a midsized corporate jet for his business. Currently he is considering the Citation Excel, the Learjet 60 and 45, and the older Citation VII and III's. The problem, however, is that he wants a plane that can take him safely nonstop to and from Hawaii from the west coast (2000+nm) as he doesnt' want to pay the money for a larger longer ranged jet (Citation X, Challenger, Falcon, Hawker, Gulfstream, etc...). I've read that the ranges on the first set of aircraft I've listed are about 2000nm. So what I'm trying to ask is are there any midsized or even smaller business jets that have the range to go safely from San Francisco to Honolulu? Can the Lear 60's or 45's or Citation VII/III/Excels do it? I'd appreciate any info on this problem. Thanks a lot.

cargyvr

RE: Midsized Corporate Jets To Hawaii?

Wed Jan 31, 2001 11:46 am

Try the Citation X.

Wed Jan 31, 2001 12:51 pm

Citation Xs are way too expensive. We fly our Astra SPs and SPX from KLMT to PHNL with no problems whatsoever. Plenty of range and very good speed. The Astras are definitely the "most bang for the buck". E-mail me directly if you have any questions: jetguy@cdsnet.net

Wed Jan 31, 2001 11:19 pm

Oh, by the way, the Astra will also make PDX (Portland, Oregon) to EGLF (Farnborough - London, England) easily with just one fuel stop.

chopper

Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:13 am

I would say the gulf stream. or boeing business

chopper

Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:25 am

The CITTATION Has around 3200 nm endurance.ever thought of net jet? they might help out imjust a private pilot

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:58 am

I too have heard alot of good things about the Avro. The Lear 45 can make it to Hawaii cant it, too? Maybe there is a way to get some extended range tanks. You would have to drop your payload..but you would be able to get out there nonetheless.
Chicks dig winglets.

citation501sp

Sat Feb 03, 2001 10:11 am

Jetguy has it, In the midsize class the Astra is about as good as it gets for range, and speed and its cheap to operate. About $800.00 per hour. The company I work for is looking at getting an Astra SPX, it might not be the prettiest airplane but it will outrange just about anyone else out there in the mid-size class.
Smoke and Thunder! Stage 2 FOREVER!!!

Sun Feb 04, 2001 5:55 am

Take a walk inside/outside one of the FBO's on the South Ramp of HNL or OGG and you will see just about every Business jet in the sky parked there. Ask around etc..
Have you guys thought about a fractional ownership? Like Flex jet, Raytheon or Bombardier's programs? You can use the smaller jets, even a king air on short trips stateside then grab one of the bad boys for the trips over water. Always a new bird and no ownership hassles.

Sun Feb 04, 2001 2:24 pm

Fractionals might be useful, but only to a point. If he's going to fly more than about 250 hours per year it will be cheaper to own his own.

Falcon Flyer

Mon Feb 05, 2001 6:47 am

Flexjet is Bombardier's fractional program.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.