UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Escape Slides After Use

Thu Feb 01, 2001 3:37 am

What happens to escape slides after they are deployed? Are they re-used or scrapped? Also, how are they deflated after they deploy?

leigh pilgrim

RE: Escape Slides After Use

Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:45 am

Hi, well I work for an airline and I have seen the aircraft in the hangar, I have also seen them deploy the slides out of the aircraft, this i think they were testing them, now i think that the slides were then deflated and folded up and placed back in the aircraft, they have to be tested and so they can be placed back, Hope this helps, all the best

Leigh Pilgrim

Thu Feb 01, 2001 6:49 am

In the US after a slide is deployed it must be returned to an overhaul shop (either run by the airline or a part-145 repair facility). The slide is checked, repaired, repacked and certified for return to service (a vacuum pump is used to remove the air for repacking). Any one who has tried to place a deployed slide in its original shipping container can attest to how difficult this can be. The slide is usually issued a form 8130 certficate or the airlines own FAA approved servicable tag before it can be reinstalled on the aircraft.

Thu Feb 01, 2001 7:20 am

According to United Airlines, the cost of deflating and repacking an A320 slide is upwards of $10,000 dollars. There were some early problems with flight atttendants mistaking the door opening handle for the slide disarm handle & blowing the slides when parked at the gate, etc.

ILUV767

Thu Feb 01, 2001 3:14 pm

Slides have to go through maintence all of the time. They have a cycle limit just like engines, landing gears and so on. While in maintence, I believe that they are blown in the slide shop. I've been through the slide shop at SFO all of the time, and there are always slides inflated there. In the event of an accedental slide blowing, the whole pack is replaced while that blown slide is checked and rechecked. Slides are just another of the interchangeable parts in an airplane.

ILUV767

Thu Feb 01, 2001 3:20 pm

Oops correction to my last post. Slides are not blown in maintence. They are just checked. Also they have an hour limit, not a cycle limit like the engines. Sorry.

widebody

Fri Feb 02, 2001 9:52 am

The problem of mistaken deployments on A32FAM aircraft continues........mainly because of the prominance of the disarming lever in comparison to the door handle....as for maintenance, some airlines now deploy all their slides when their time is up......