OldMan

Number 1 Blade Switch

Mon Feb 19, 2001 8:00 am

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the #1 blade switch on the DC-6? I have a little "wager" with a friend and I just may be able to settle the "discussion", here. Thanks, Oldman

JG

RE: Number 1 Blade Switch

Mon Feb 19, 2001 8:58 am

Well Oldman... that question might be pushing the limits. Some of us are not that advanced... in years.  Smile

My knowledge and memory is quite limited of the DC-6 but I recall the #1 blade switch had something to do with feathering and un-feathering and stopping either a hyd pump or just hyd pressure when the blades reached those respective positions.

This may or may not help. Maybe one of the very valuable mechanic types on this board has a better working knowledge of this. Good luck with your bet.

OldMan

Mon Feb 19, 2001 10:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Mr. JG, That is basically my understanding also. I will wait to see if any "OLE" DC-6 -7 maintenance men are here before I collect my wager.  Smile

Tue Feb 20, 2001 2:31 pm

It has been a long time since I had anything to do with props, especially those ageing three bladers. From what I can remember, #1 blade switch only played a part in unfeather, reverse and unreverse. During the feather cycle it closed when the prop moved from the fine pitch position and remained that way through to feather. During unfeather it opened at about hmmmm.... 22deg ?? or so blade angle removing power from a relay and so power to the Decrease Pitch Solenoid which closed, blocked the oil path to the piston and completed the operation. The Aux pump continued to run if the button was held. During reverse and unreverse #1 and #2 blade switches both come into play.
Like I said, it has been a long, long time....just hope I haven't mixed up too many different props here.
Hope you win the "wager".

OldMan

Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:43 am

Mr. Feret,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. As I remember, the #1 blade switch played a part in the unfeather but thought it also came into play during feather operaton. I stand corrected and believe you are correct about the unreverse. In a "nut shell", I think it is safe to say the #1 blade switch terminated unfeathering and unreverseing. You lost me on the #2, I draw a blank there. I must have been absent during that part of school Smile. So in all fairness I will only collect 1/2 case of beer for the wager. Thanks again.
Oldman

Wed Feb 21, 2001 9:00 am

Oldman,
Please don't take what I said as gospel. It is quite possible I have mixed up a couple props here and all my old reference material has long gone to the dump so I can't confirm. After flying on turboprops and jets for the last 25 years these things have slipped from my mind. You would understand that more than me.  Smile
Cheers,
Feret.

OldMan

Wed Feb 21, 2001 11:10 am

Mr. Feret,

Thanks anyway, no big deal, what's a 1/2 case of brew?? Smile "To Soon Old and To Late Smart"
Hope your enjoying retirement as I am..

Buzz

Thu Feb 22, 2001 3:44 am

Hi Oldman and Feret. Buzz here. I'd have to look in Dad's UAL DC-6/7 manual. I thought it was odd that the DC-7's had switches to control prop pitch instead of the Knobs and Cables that my favorite DC-3 uses.
OK, what corner of the cockpit you talking about? On the F/E panel, or on the pedestal , or overheah on with the fire extinguish switches? Let's see, they also had Prop deice, electric style.
I'll look for your reply tomorrow.
g'day

Thu Feb 22, 2001 7:41 am

Buzz,
The switches we were discussing are not located on any panel but on the props themselves. They open and close at various positive and negative blade angles for prop control.
Cheers,
Feret.

Buzz

Fri Feb 23, 2001 7:05 am

Hi Feret, Buzz here. Well, that's a new one for me. I figured all DC-6's had the Ham-Standard Hydromatic props (well, all of United's) and i don't know of a switch out there.
On my favorite DC-3 (NC18121) the prop governor has a switch that goes to give the feather button a ground, but everything else is cable operated.
g'day from Portland Oregon
Buzz Fuselsausage, Line Mechanic by night, DC-3 Crew Chief by choice.

Fri Feb 23, 2001 4:19 pm

G'day Buzz,
I share your love of the Gooney Bird. Only thing I didn't like was hauling spare R1830s (on skids) uphill inside the freighters. We had a long run of master rod bearing failures due to overhauls with defective bearings (took them 2 years to admit it, said we were underboosting!) so became quite proficient at that.
Some HS props with the reverse feature while still having mechanical links to the governor have a more complicated elec system than a feather button, aux pump and pressure switch. Blade switches are used to control relays for solenoids, holding circuits, rev lights, aux pumps etc. More to stuff up, that's progress.....
Now, where did I put that bloody instant electrician (CRC) ?  Smile
Cheers,
Feret.
1, 10, 5, 14, 9, 4, 13, 8, 3, 12, 7, 2, 11, 6.

Accidentally

Fri Feb 23, 2001 5:13 pm

Feret, is that a firing order?
Indianapolis, IN

Sat Feb 24, 2001 5:51 pm

Yup, of a P&W R1830 and R2000 anyway. Easy way to remember - there are 14 cylinders so if you can't add 9, take 5. eg: 1, 10 (1+9), 5 (10-5), 14 (5+9) etc, etc. Make sense?
Cheers.
Feret.