flashmeister

Atis

Tue Feb 20, 2001 7:40 am

On a post in the General forum, someone listed the ATIS phone number for LGA.

Do most major airports have ATIS-by-telephone? If so, where can I get the numbers for it?

RE: Atis

Tue Feb 20, 2001 7:45 am

I know even at my local airport there is a phone number that I can hear the ATIS over the phone, so it isn't just large airports. There phone numbers are avairable in Jeppson's Airport/Facility Directory.

OPNLguy

Tue Feb 20, 2001 7:53 am

You can also find them by doing a search on google.com

For that other message thread, I just entered LGA ATIS it came right up. Try it with the airport identifier of your choice. If that doesn't work, post again and I'll see if I can dig up the FAA link..
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

modesto2

Tue Feb 20, 2001 7:54 am

Tue Feb 20, 2001 8:13 am

Every airport (that I know has it, unless it does not have ATIS) when I would fly up to LAX, I would get the ATIS on the ground sometimes as you get very busy very quickly, so as soon as I got handed to Socal Approach I could say I have info *** and I could work out if it would be the current one, by the times (normally) if it had been an hour since the ATIS I got was reported, I would have to tune in a listen. However normally I would not have too, and I think I impressed many controllers, I hope they thought I had ACARS in my 172!!  Smile
Iain

flashmeister

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:42 pm

I found a couple of phone numbers (looking specifically for SAT), but they provide weather info only.

The one referenced for LGA that I spoke of before also had active departure/arrival runways, frequencies, etc. Is that unique to LGA or should I also be able to find it here at SAT?

flashmeister

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:43 pm

...or are they available on the 'Net anywhere?

aaron atp

Duh

Tue Feb 20, 2001 3:16 pm

Tue Feb 20, 2001 3:57 pm

>I found a couple of phone numbers (looking specifically for SAT), but they provide weather info only

That sounds like AWOS (automatic weather observation system), where a computer just reads off latest WX info on a freq. AWOS doesn't have runway information, obviously. I know that a local tower (RNT, actually) broadcasts AWOS on ATIS when tower is closed at night.

OldMan

Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:42 am

Mr. Iainhol,
Here we go again, "RTFQ" remember? The man wanted to know how to find the phone numbers, not how you certainly impressed the controllers.

Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:56 am

Oldman, I think I like to tell stories too much!  Smile
Iain

OldMan

Wed Feb 21, 2001 5:00 am

Iain, Ok, I give up..Have a nice day Smile

Gnomon

The Actual Broadcast

Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:34 pm

LGA's aforereferenced number (718-478-6070) provides the actual ATIS broadcast that's broadcast on the VHF ATIS freq.

None of the other AWOS/ASOS numbers on the site Aaron atp provided have the actual broadcast. Does anyone know such numbers?

Thu Feb 22, 2001 6:01 am

What about international ATIS phone numbers? Where can I get them?