Bryan Becker
Topic Author

Airbus Flight Sticks

Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:54 pm

Most aircraft are controlled with a yoke. But why did airbus choose to use sticks to fly there aircraft? This question has been in my head for a long time. I'm a real big airbus fan, an I would like it if a real airbus pilot could answer this ,but if enyone else knows the answer you can answer to. An also are they easier to use than yokes or are they the same. Thanks alot a future captain Bryan Becker.

RE: Airbus Flight Sticks

Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:45 pm

Advantages of the side stick:
-clear view of the entire flightdeck
-more leg room for the pilots
-retracteble tray where the yoke would be to put food, magazines etc.

Disadvantages:
-some stubborn old pilots claim the yoke is better, which might affect sales.

Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:05 pm

It's much easier to fly with a side stick, inputs are smaller and more accurate, it's only your wrist that moves and you've got a real nice clear view of the entire flightdeck.
A disadvantage is that if the copilot moves the side stick on his side the Captain 's side stick does not move at all and viceversa. If both pull in the side stick forces are added ( nose moves 2x faster).
Regards

JG

Sat Mar 03, 2001 3:25 am

With a fly by wire aircraft you do not need the added weight or mechanical complexity of a yoke. Just another case of economics. Even the side stick on an Airbus is could be considered too big. A small knob with a disconnect button would be sufficient.

Boeing chose to have a yoke on the 777, but it was not necessary. They probably thought it would be more readily accepted by pilots.

Sat Mar 03, 2001 5:43 am

Hey Bryan, I asked a question similar to yours a while back, and I thought you might want to check out what others had to say

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/tech_ops/read.main/8579/

Bryan Becker
Topic Author

Sat Mar 03, 2001 11:01 am

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!
you helped alot.

Minuteman

Sat Mar 03, 2001 3:17 pm

Just a few quick notes about the sidesticks on the Toulouse Lawnmower...

1.) the sidesticks are dependent on the displacement of the stick, rather than force applied to the stick (opposite of most FBW fighters)

b.) below 1/3 displacement of either sidestick, the inputs are algebraically summed for both sticks (usually PF + 0 = input).

iii.) beyond the displacement threshold, the second stick to move has full authority and the first stick is limited to 1/3 (remaining displacement is inneffective). I don't recall the latency involved for the second stick.

A couple of reasons for doing this are to counter a "dead-man" input, like an object jammed on the stick or, who knows, maybe a pilot slumped over the controller. Also to counter a dangerous manuever by the "other pilot".

dc10hound

Mon Mar 05, 2001 3:23 am

Minuteman,
I've really never heard a 'Bus referred to as a "Toulouse Lawnmower". I'll have to remeber that one! Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Boeing elected to use a yoke on the B777 and designed it to give feedback from side to side, ie: the Capt can "feel" what the FO is doing, and vice versa.

Does'nt give much room for a tray table for dinner, but we are supposed to fly the aircraft, are'nt we?
"Eagles soar. But weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.."