SouthRebels
Topic Author

TWA And The Missed Approach!

Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:51 pm

Does anyone know the circumstances behind TWA's "missed approach!!!" How do you land at the wrong airport??

me

RE: TWA And The Missed Approach!

Fri Mar 16, 2001 4:26 pm

landing at the wrong airport is a very easy thing to do believe it or not. anyone who says it isn't, hasn't been flying long enough. delta did it years ago and became known as:
Don't
Ever
Land
There
Again

PW4084

Fri Mar 16, 2001 5:27 pm

It does happen....Continental did it in 1997:

http://lubbockonline.com/news/051297/continen.htm

OldMan

Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:01 am

I do not know the particulars of the TWA incident, however when it does happen it is usually due to poor CRM, not following standerd procedures and not having the proper nav. freq. selected for a given runway. A very bad screw up following a bad operation. My Opinion.

SouthRebels
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2001 2:28 am

I understand that it can happen, it did. However, nobody is answering my question as to how. In the TWA case they were obviously fly and under IFR and and ILS approach. Don't they check their charts and frequencies?

OldMan

Sat Mar 17, 2001 8:03 am

South rebels,

I did answer you post, read it again. What do you not understand that I can help with??

SouthRebels
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2001 8:38 am

How do you not follow proper procedures, not follow frequencies and end up landing at an airport over 20 miles away? I mean it is beyond me that a flight crew and screw up so bad that they land at the wrong airport. As a passenger on a commericial airplane I would be extremely leary about a flight crew that lands at the wrong airport, and did not even know it until they were on the ground. It is an embarrasement to TWA, and and embarrasment to all the technology that is being used today. If those pilots can't find the right airport, with all the electronic navagation, etc., etc., how do you feel about them in an emergency situation or if they had to react quickly to a avoid an emergency situation.

OldMan

Sat Mar 17, 2001 9:36 am

Exactly the way I feel, and I agree with you 100% You must remember, Pilots, airline or otherwise are not "God" and there are always some that slip thru the cracks. Those are the one's you read about unfortunately!

Sat Mar 17, 2001 9:50 am

I would be interested in what sector was this? I will bet money on the first problem was fatigue!
When weather is good the do a visual approach, which is where they call the runway in sight, and land there! This was probably another factor, and I can assure you airports can look very similar. 20 miles is not very far, and as far a frequencies, you get handed off to people and given them.
I agree with Oldman that if they had paid a little more attention this would not have happen, however I can see after a long day flying how this can happen!
Iain

OldMan

Sat Mar 17, 2001 10:41 am

Long day or short day? Who knows? Could have been the first leg of the trip. We unfortunately sometimes learn by other's mistakes. Gotta pay attention. The only frequencies given are usually just for communication not Nav. Check and re Check! If something dosen't sound right, look right, feel right, we as pilots have the option to go around! It's always better to tell the FAA why you went around than try to explain why you did not!! Smile Fly Safe Men

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:32 pm

Anybody know what happened in that Delta incident in Europe? The in-flight maps were up in the cabin and everyone in the airplane knew they were landing at hte wrong airport except the pilots. And they were waayyyy off. Is there a possibitly they plugged in the wrong identifier or something into the FMS? I remember my dad was over in Europe on a trip the day it happened... i thought he'd never stop ripping on them. Some of the pilots on the north atlantic tracks were talking about it and ripping on the delta pilots on the way back accross the atlantic he said. How embarrassing.....
Chicks dig winglets.

Sat Mar 17, 2001 9:35 pm

I ahte to say this XFS it was Northwest who landed at Brussels, when they where meant to go to Frankfurt!  Laugh out loud
Iain