TomH

Tire Question

Mon Mar 19, 2001 8:58 pm

It used to be common practice for large military aircraft tires to have small bits of wire (almost like steel wool) embedded in the rubber. You made a mistake as soon as you put your hand on the tires, they were sharp (so I learned at a young age).

Is this type of rubber/metal technology used anymore on aircraft tires?

TomH

RE: Tire Question

Mon Mar 19, 2001 10:27 pm

I think you are taking about the cord, which should not be showing, it shows extensive wear on the tire, and the tire should be replaced!
Iain

A/c train

Mon Mar 19, 2001 10:35 pm

Right on iainhol!

TomH

Tue Mar 20, 2001 4:25 am

I should have been more specific, sorry. I am not talking about the cord, but rather about metal fiber imbedded in the rubber compound at the time of manufacture. It is (or was) present on brand-new tires that showed no cord at all.

Regarding cord. It is not true that simply showing cord means immediate replacement of the tire. In military aviation there are criterion used based on the color of the cord showing. This determines when to replace the tire, as different colors indicate different wear depth. Of course this is providing no other problems are evident. Hopefully someone can back me up on this, as it has been a few years....
TomH

Tue Mar 20, 2001 4:40 am

Tom, Thanks for clarifying, however unfortunately I do not know your answer. Regarding the cord, I have yet to fly a military jet, however in general aviation it is a big big no no!
Iain

TomH

Tue Mar 20, 2001 8:16 pm

Iain,

I've been thinking about what I said regarding military tire wear. It may be that the color changes are due to specific wear indicators built into the tire and they may not be the cord itself. I think that the cord is a foundation around which the rubber is shaped, and I can't think of a reason why you would want to start wearing through that area deliberately.

But it is very common to see fighter aircraft tires that appear horribly worn, at least to the my uneducated eye, but in fact are well within specs according to the crew chiefs to whom I talked.

If line people today do not see heavy aircraft tires that have wire embedded in them, I guess what I am describing is an obsolete technology. It was very common for large aircraft tires to have what appeared to be sharp bits of steel wool all over the ground contact area.

Aren't there any ex-SAC types out there who can help me out with this?
TomH

chdmcmanus

Wed Mar 21, 2001 4:11 am

TomH, Hi, I'm a AMC (formerly MAC) Flight Engineer, and your second line is exactly correct concerning the cord body. The wear indicators are usually interlayered fabric, and the cord body itself is metal. I haven't seen any exterior metal on the line in about 5 years, but I know exactly what your talking about. The heavies had a rash of incidents related to tire failure in the early 90's that led to a lot of changes, mostly in the area of wear limitations and retread capabilities, but I believe they also changed manufacturures to. I haven't seen any of the old "indians" or "internationals" on the line lately, mostly "BF Goodrich" and "Goodyear". Maybe this has something to do with it?
"Never trust a clean Crew Chief"