JG
Topic Author

Express.Net

Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:24 am

Hello all,

Flying out of PHL, had an A300 pass by with Express.net Airlines markings. I have seen a couple of these aircraft and just wondering the history of the company. Did a couple of freight companies merge to form a new carrier? How long in operation? How many aircraft?

Sounds stupid I am sure, but I build plastic models. I liked the logo but could not find any website for the carrier with decent photos for the paint job. Just looking for BRIEF info to include with a model. Don't waste any time digging for info. If someone here knows, great, otherwise forget it.

Thanks

RE: Express.Net

Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:29 am

I actually had the opportunity to talk to an Express.net A300 F/O in a chat room once. He wouldn't give me any info. on the company. Sorry.

OPNLguy

Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:41 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OPNLguy

Contact Too...

Mon Mar 26, 2001 6:10 am

http://www.fresh-designs.com/expressnet.html

Express.net Airlines, LLC
James H. Young President & General Manager
251 Jackson Plaza Ann Arbor MI 48103
734-623-0500
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Mon Mar 26, 2001 8:12 am

>>I actually had the opportunity to talk to an Express.net A300 F/O in a chat room once<<
Jetpilot changed his story?
Iain

JETPILOT

Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:01 am

Express.Net was formerly Transcontinental Airlines under ownership of Scott Kalitta.

The current owner David Clark rescued the carrier form bankruptcy and is the current owner.

The company certificate is at the Detroit FSDO. The company headquarters is in YIP Michigan. The operation of the airline is based in Naples Florida.

They operate 4 727's one bearing the Express.Net livery.

One in BAX Global colors without the lettering.

Two all white....well originally white.

They have 7 Airbus A300 B4's on the certficate. All in the livery.

They are a charter operation and fly cargo under contract for Emery. All other operations are ad hoc.

The airline has been operating under the Express.net name for about a year.

If you want anything more specific let me know.

JET

JG
Topic Author

RE: Jetpilot

Mon Mar 26, 2001 11:55 am

Do you work there? Is this the former Kalitta as in Connie (sp?) then run by his son ...or a separate carrier?

If you work there, is there a guy there with the last name of Vonderschmidt? He commuter puked with me for a while.

Everyone else, thanks for the site with the photos.

JETPILOT

Mon Mar 26, 2001 12:57 pm

I used to work there.

It was owned by Scott Kalitta. It had no connection to Connies company.

No one by the name of Vonderschmidt on the seniority list.

JET

Tue Mar 27, 2001 12:21 am

Express sounds like a shaky operation. Another one of those here today gone tomorrow deals. I would not make a model of that one unless its for a "grave yard" collection. Bye.

JETPILOT

Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:31 am

Express.Net is as shaky as they come. Just another Fine Air, Custom Air Transport, Arrow Air.

The Airbus's are all leased. The 727-100's he owns are the oldest examples flying.

The managment is poor.

The pilots are there because they can't go anywhere else. They're either too old, too innexperienced (time building), scabs, or have a DWI in their past.

They work CNET in Dcemeber and really don't care what happens the rest of the year.

David Clarke was the former owner of ATI and sold them without warning to BAX. It's just a business to him.

The Airbus's will be hard to make a profit with considering the maintenance required. The company is always about 2 engine swaps or an expensive AD away from failure at any given time.

JET

gotcha

Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:29 am

Jetpilot - Sounds like some sour grapes there???

JETPILOT

Wed Mar 28, 2001 7:32 am

No not at all. They offered me a great opportunity to earn my fourth stripe.

But they are what they are. You can't polish a turd.

Get your time and get out. No place to build a career by any means.

I used them to get PIC turbojet and they used me to move their planes.

I don't wish employment at companies like these on my worst enemy. It's a job and nothing more. No one is happy to be there. This I promise you.

JET

gotcha

Wed Mar 28, 2001 8:59 am

Fourth stripe? From what I understood, you were only an FE with them, with little chance of getting near even the right seat any time soon.

Maybe I misunderstood the situation, but I would hope that you're not misleading people.

JETPILOT

Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:20 am

I have part time employment as an FE sim instructor outside of Express.Net if that is what you are confusing?

JET