HAWK21M
Topic Author

Technical Reason.

Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:04 pm

What could be the technical reason for not permitting the upliftment of live stock in the Fwd cargo compt of a B737.
regds.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

RE: Technical Reason.

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:52 pm

That must be a local regulation. Looking at the LH manuals for the 300/500 you can load live animals in either compartment. Obviously depending on size of crate. However, there are limitations. for example if you load 200kg(maximum allowed) of day old chickens, nothing else is allowed in the compartment except crew baggage. There are also further restrictions for animals depending on flying times.

These are LH regulations, is assume that other carriers have different regulations.

One amusing point in our manuals is that it actually states that you are not allowed to load Horses in either hold!!! Who the hell would try that?

L-188

Thu Apr 05, 2001 9:43 pm

When I was working for Alaska we where not supposed to put live animals in with Embalmed Human Remains. The vaper given off by the formaldahyde(spl?) would kill the animals.

Same goes for Dry ice. You can't put animals in the same compartment as that either. As it melts the Dry ice changes states to Carbon Dioxide gas. It will displace the Oxygen in the compartment and kill anythin in it.

I don't have any refences anymore but I assume that there are other substances that give off gas. I just remember those off the top of my head.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Fri Apr 06, 2001 1:17 am

I'm not sure where we lost our way and decided we wanted to put livestock in the forward cargo pit of a 737, but i don't see how you could fit anything in there bigger than a goat or pig anyway. Although i will admit it'd be funny s*** to see some rampers trying to get a cow up a beltloader.
Maybe it's not allowed because large animals exceed the maximum weight loading per square foot or something. Maybe because of the size of livestock it would be impossible to safely secure it with the cargo netting.

CX Flyboy

Fri Apr 06, 2001 2:55 am

Not sure how a 737 works but could it be that the cargo heat system was u/s, and therefore and animals would be subject to extreme cold if taken?

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2001 9:53 pm

One of the reasons I was told today was a possibility of the LH airconditioning Pack being U/s.But The RH pack can also supply Air to the Cockpit.

The reason was that the Cockpit air was ducted to the FWD cargo compt via the E & E compt,Thats the reason the Air was warmer as it picked up the heat from the Electronics modules in the E & E compartment before to circulated around the FWD Cargo side walls prior to leaving the aircraft.

It wasn't as convincing though.

regds
HAWK

PHLyBoy

Sat Apr 07, 2001 2:16 am

On Delta's Boeing A/C, all live freight must go in the rear compartments. This should be true for all Boeing planes. The FWD Compartment is not pressurized/heated for Live cargo. On the MD-*) series, the "Live" compartment is Bin1, the FWD most bin, front Compartment. There was a United pilot, flying a 737, I believe about a year ago who made an emergency landing upon learning that a passenger's dog had been loaded in the front bin. Needless to say, I don't think the airline was hapy about that.

737LAME

Sat Apr 07, 2001 3:37 pm

The Fwd cargo on the 737 is the only compartment that is allowed for live animals.
This is because comp hold 1 & 2 is heated.
The aft cargo compartment 3 & 4 is unheated.Becomes cold on long flights.

Exhaust air from cockpit instruments & e&e avionic boxes is directed under the fwd cargo floor when the aircraft is pressurized(above 2.5delta psi).

Air from the cabin goes in to a duct on both sides of the fwd cargo sidewalls, this air is routed to the resirculation fan (and if selected on) goes into the aircondition mix chamber and into the cabin or cockpit again.

The cargo compartments has 2 pressure equalizing valves that keep the cabin pressure on both sides of the cargo compt lining the same.

The biggest live stock I have seen aboard a 737 is a sgt.bernhard dog.

But another thing people should consider is that the avionics fans (supply/exhaust) make considerable high tone pitch noises (unheard to human ears). But animals hear those. So some dogs can cope with this, others are not the same after a flight.. Think of this if you are considering to take your loved animal on a weekend flight.

Tue Apr 10, 2001 12:56 am

Interesting. I wonder if as with so many A/C there are several versions. However, I don't understand what you mean by hold 1, 2, 3, 4. The 737 only has 2 holds, i.e 1&4. One thing that I missed was that although both holds are pressurised, neither of them have air-conditioning (737-500). Instead you are given a grid from which you select the initial temperature, and then depending on the flight time you can work out what the hold temperature will drop to during flight. Because of this LH allow live animals in both holds, depending on what else is loaded.

737LAME

Tue Apr 10, 2001 1:20 am

On 737`s.
Fwd cargo compartment is divided into two compartment, from the cargo door and fwd to the e&e wall is hold 1. Fram the cargo nets and aft in fwd cargo compt, is hold 2.
Aft cargo are likewice divided into hold 3 & 4.
Aft edge in the cargo door opening and fwd to aft cargo fwd bulkhead is hold 3. So compt 4 is the rest back to the aft bulkhead.

This is done for the weight and balance calculation.

Both holds are pressurized. But the reason why the aft cargo is not used is because of that this gets no heating during cruise. If you open a aft cargo door on a 737-5/4 or NG after a long flight it is cold inside this compartment, while the fwd cargo are warm

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2001 5:46 pm

I've found the answer.
On asking around on a B737-200,if the FWD outflow valve is stuck in the open position, the aircraft FWD hold sidewalls will not retain heat from the E & E blowers passing thru the Equipment,as the air will be dumped overboard immedietly.

So If the FWD outflow valve is stuck open No live cargo can be carried & the Aircraft has to be ferried back for maintenance or replacement of the concerned valve is required.

regds
HAWK.