Bryan Becker
Topic Author

Window Open

Sun Apr 15, 2001 5:53 am

I don't know if any one before has asked this so I put it up.I was thinken about my last trip to CT.Before take-offs and landings the flight attendents would come around and tell us to put the window shades up for those stages of flight.now what is the reason for this what does a window shade have to do with landing and takeing off?i would realy like to know Smile

-BryanBecker Big thumbs up

Gregg

RE: Window Open

Sun Apr 15, 2001 6:05 am

Some airlines require the window shades to be up. I am not sure if it is a poorly inforeced FAA regulation. The thought (I think) is so that you can see if there is a fire outside of the a/c after a crash, and that way you know which exit to proceed to.

Bryan Becker
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2001 6:34 am

Well the airline I was on was US Air if that helps at all to see if anyone knows if they have that policy or what?

chopper

Sun Apr 15, 2001 9:17 am

Now I know at night they turn off the cabin lights durring take off and landings. So if the aircraft crashes you wont have spots before youre eyes. when all of sudden you have to exit. That is an interesting question. I am sure I am pretty close to the answer.

SophieMaltese

Sun Apr 15, 2001 10:03 am

I do remember somebody asking this a while back. Don't remember the answer though. I always have my window shade open so I can watch.

VIflyer

Sun Apr 15, 2001 11:33 am

According to our SOP the Window shades for all emergency exits and/or ajacent windows must be up. The reason is that on some A/C the evacuation drill requires the FA to assess out the window to see if the exit is blocked or not (i.e. fire, underwater, etc.). As for the other windows it really doesn't make any difference (but every airline has it's own policy). For example on our Saabs I have to make sure the first row and window exit window shades are up. The first row because it's the only window I have access to, to look outside the main entry door and the emergency exit which is across from it. On the EMB-135/145 it's not nessecary because both door exits have windows in them.
Hope that helps.
I reject your reality and subsitute my own

jetjack74

Thu May 19, 2005 8:05 pm

It is policy enforced by airlines only, not the federal gov't. In my flight attendant manual at NW, only the window shades at exit rows must be open. However, on the Navy's C-9/C-40 aircraft, it is a requirement that all window shades be open for take off and landing. If we are carrying cargo, then the area in the cabin with pallets have the window shades down. This is to signal rescue crews that the particular area is cargo only i the event of an abnormal landing.
Made from jets!

HAWK21M

Thu May 19, 2005 9:29 pm

To Have Access to Viewing outside In case of Emergency Evacuation.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)