portcolumbus

Starting Out

Tue Apr 17, 2001 10:19 pm

I've already taken a few lessons, but I am wondering if I should learn to fly out of a bigger airport or a smaller field? My first few lessons were out of Port Columbus Intl, with commercial traffic.

Regards
Joey

me

RE: Starting Out

Tue Apr 17, 2001 11:59 pm

You'll probably solo faster from a less congested airport. However, I'd opt for the busy airport to gain the experience. Many people who learn at small, uncontrolled fields get "mic fright". If you do choose the smaller field, be sure to get alot of instruction in the busy ATC environment.

Wed Apr 18, 2001 12:49 am

I would stay at the larger aiport because althought it will take longer to solo, you will be more confident, and not be scared of other large airports for instance if you want to fly into LAS (Vegas McCarren) or other class B airports.
Iain

Western727

Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:11 am

Just my opinion, but I'd opt for the smaller one. Number one, I learned to fly at an uncontrolled field, and I don't have anything remotely akin to "mic-fright." Secondly, security at larger controlled fields tends to be tense. During the time that I worked as ramper (at the same airport), the FBO patrons and I engaged in all kinds of airport mischief such as hanging out on top of the hanger with a scanner and binoculars, watching takeoffs sitting on the edge of the runway, bumming rides in supercubs, recieving numerous bizjet tours, all manner of taxiway and intersection takeoffs, and (horrors) walking around the ramp freely. None of this would have been possible at a larger, controlled airport, and I feel like it is important for a grassroots education in aviation. [LONG LIVE GA!!!] And last of all, you can learn all the big airport skills later (and you will during your private training - it's part of the curriculum). By training at a less busy field, you maximize your primary training time. You have more time in the air. But that's just my take.

Mike
Jack @ AUS

Western727

Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:23 am

Not to mention all the high-speed, low level P-51 and T-6 flybys that I got to watch.
Jack @ AUS

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:49 am

A Class C airport is great to learn at. I fly out of one now, and have been for the past year and a half... you get all the opportunities Western 727 talk about (never sat on top of the hangers though). If the larger airport is a really busy airport though, i would reccomend learning at the smaller one. There is good in dabbling in the more advanced stuff, but too much of it can hurt your progress. I am not sure how Port Columbus is, or what type of airspace it is....Tallahassee Regional is a good happy medium. Two runways, airline and military traffic (numerous first solos have been up in teh pattern with AC-130's, F-18's and T-38's), but isnt very busy. If you can describe the airports in more detail with their traffic situations we could probably help you better.
Chicks dig winglets.

portcolumbus

Wed Apr 18, 2001 5:08 am

Port Columbus is under Class C airspace. The average number of commercial ops is 400/day. Average total ops is around 600/day. It's fairly busy, and it gets 757s and the like. My first landing at CMH we held up 5 MD-80s that were waiting to go.

ericCieslar

Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:46 am

i fly at a little airfield(class G) with little traffic and i see no problem with it. It has a little gravel runway, few warbirds eg. trojan,havard. Ive got about 25 hours and im having heaps o fun. I also think it will cost more at a larger airport. At Tyabb(were i fly) i find that the planes cost less per hour. At larger airports you also have to wait to do stuff eg.takeoff

so once i have some of my licences ill be going down to a closer airport near. This airport is moorabin(one of the busyest airports in the southern hemisphere). Ill take a few lessons to get used to the traffic and airspace.

thanks. hope some of that made sense

miller22

Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:27 am

Inevitably you'll leave port columbus to do touch and goes anyways. I'd recommend a smaller field. Your first solo will be much sooner, and much more productive to you. I would suggest a small airport under class C or somewhere where you can get the best of both worlds. I did some flight instructing out of Blue Ash Airport in Cincinnati under the class B vail, and you can do touch and goes to your heart's content and still run into CVG for the occasional landing. Right now is the time to learn how to fly the airplane. Learn the basics where there's much less to distract you , then when you can land it with your eyes closed, move into CMH where you have to focus your attention on the radios.