Bill Bob
Topic Author

Gas Engine Starting

Mon Apr 23, 2001 12:08 am

Do all or at least some planes have a gas pedal on the floor? I see some planes have two large pedals and some older ones have two metal bars and two smaller pedals or tabs? Then I saw one that had a lever in the ceiling that was for adding power. Do they have a choke for cold weather starting also? Thanks.

Buff

RE: Gas Engine Starting

Mon Apr 23, 2001 1:15 am

None do. Those are rudder pedals, oft times doubling as brake pedals when taxiing on the ground.

Best Regards,

Buff

Bill Bob
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2001 6:41 am

Ok, and the lever in the ceiling is connectd to the rudder also? Do they just use that when in the air? What about a choke? Thanks, I have no one to ask here in thhe mission. I always look at the birds flyng and want to be ther to.

Top Gun

Mon Apr 23, 2001 1:22 pm

You are a far way from the real deal. I'll sum it up for you.

The pedals on the floor are used for the Rudder, like my fellow canuck, Buff said, They double as brakes and as steering "on the ground only" by means of the nose gear, or tail wheel. Whichever have you. The throttle can be found generally between the front two seats about knee height. Some airplanes such as the DeHavilland DHC-6, Twin Otter has the throttle on the "ceiling" like you mentioned. For all intensive porposes they control the engine power. I'm sure if your at the airport and see a pilot they would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Cheers from Canada.

Bill Bob
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2001 8:29 pm

Thankyuu The only airport here is a dirt strip at the missionary. Usually no one is here to ask and the only time I can use this is when they have the generator runing. Thankyou all. Tamika