SA-JET
Topic Author

Evac With Door Problems

Sun May 06, 2001 8:03 am

Recently read someplace that with the 747, evac procedures state that, if a door cannot be opened due to a pressure problem, the F/A must break the window with a fire extinguisher to release pressure on the door seal. is this the case? Also, on the 747 door, center area just above the slide pack, is what looks like a small panel, not that easy to see, but gives access to something-access to what?

VC-10

RE: Evac With Door Problems

Sun May 06, 2001 8:10 am

The small access panel covers the the slide release mechanism to release the slide from the door for maintenance.

VC-10

Sun May 06, 2001 10:25 am

I have had a look at our Emerg Procs manual and can find no reference to breaking windows, not that I think you could anyway.

T prop

Sun May 06, 2001 11:11 am

Break a window? I don't know if that's such a good idea. Do you know what airlines train thier F/A's for this procedure?
If there's enough pressure in the cabin and someone manages to break a window, well lets just say I wouldn't want to be near the window.

T prop.

Twotterwrench

Sun May 06, 2001 11:24 am

I don't know too many people tough enough to break an airliner window. Crack one maybe, but break all the way through?? not possible...

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sun May 06, 2001 2:15 pm

Doors like the 747's and DC-10's have a hydraulic blow out function if the door cannot be opened. It is kind of like the hydraulic blow on a small airplane if the gear cannot be lowered. I have never heard of someone being supposed to break a window in a pressurized airplane.
Chicks dig winglets.

VC-10

Sun May 06, 2001 2:17 pm

DC10 & 747 pax doors have to come inwards (against any cabin pressure) before they open upwards or outwards repectively

OldMan

Mon May 07, 2001 2:23 am

They are called "Plug type doors" will not open with pressure inside the cabin. Also rather impossible to even break a window with the cockpit crash axe. I have seen firefighters on demo use a axe and it was 4 feet long and it just bounced off..

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon May 07, 2001 3:25 am

haha good point..i was kind of distracted and forgot about the whole pressurization thing.
Chicks dig winglets.

Thu May 10, 2001 11:44 pm

Hey!

Im not a real pro in this but how about break the whole door if you have an axe???  Smile

Still I agree with Tprop. I wouldn't like to be near that door at that moment...  Smile

All the best!!!

BBC_CCCP
RUS AF RULES!!!