SouthRebels
Topic Author

Transpacific Routes

Mon May 07, 2001 10:30 am

Are there emergency landing strips on isolated islands in the Pacific for airliners that have in-flight emergencies and can't make a mainland airport? The reason I wonder this is because I saw a movie in which a 747 bound for SYD from LAX made an emergency landing on an isolated island. I was wondering if there was any truth behind it.

timz

RE: Transpacific Routes

Mon May 07, 2001 10:41 am

Christmas Island might fit that description-- runway about 6900 ft, last I heard, so usable in an emergency. Maybe Canton as well?

babyjumbo-sp

Mon May 07, 2001 7:33 pm

Even there are small airports in the isolated islands, emergency landing on these strips will be a nightmare to the operators. Imagine you have to take care +400 pax with inadequate accomodation, in oceanic (typhoon) weather. The airline also need to send a repair team (maybe including a spare engine) and another 747 to rescue the pax.

SouthRebels
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2001 6:35 am

Well I agree that an emergency landing on an isolated island would be a nightmare, but let's think here. If I am on a transpacific bound airliner and an in-flight emergency required our immediate landing and a mainland airport could not be reached I will take that isolated island over the alternative........crashing. I am sure the pilot of the jumbo doens't really care what kind of logistical problems he will create as long as he gets his plane down safely.

ryu2

Tue May 08, 2001 6:48 pm

Sometimes QF, NZ, UA etc use Nadi, Fiji (NFFN) as a diversion field (usually when headwinds are greater than forecast, and there is a fuel shortage).