redraider

What Is A Rotable?

Thu May 24, 2001 1:03 am

What is a Rotable?

Thanks for your help!
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

NKP S2

RE: What Is A Rotable?

Thu May 24, 2001 1:39 am

It's an aircraft part/component that is serialized ( #'d ) and tracked on an airline's database. It is also a part that can be rebuilt/overhauled ( in-house or by a vendor ) and put back in stock to use again. Rotables are basically the opposite of "expendable" ( throw-away ) parts. -- It should be noted though that there is often a bit more to it than that...grey areas as well. Many parts that aren't rotables aren't necessarily throw-away parts...and often have serial #'s. Rotables have more to do with tracking a part within the airline. ex: RCN 12345, serial # 1a2b3c is installed on A/C 872 in the R/H position. That sort of thing.

Buzz

Fri May 25, 2001 2:20 pm

Hi Redraider, Buzz here. NKP used a lot of words, in short it's a spare part that we record the numbers of in the aircraft records.
It's stuff like hydraulic pumps, fuel controls, hydraulic actuators, electronic boxes. These are parts tha tif they fail , they might give the pilots a bad day (crash). So care is taken when they're built, calibrated, and installed.
g'nite

avt007

Sat May 26, 2001 4:56 am

I kinda prefer NKPs description. Don't forget, coffeemakers are rotables too! The importance of the part does not decide if it is a rotable or not, rather, it is the nature of the part, i.e. repairable. A good example of a grey area is a headset. Our company provides the a/c with headsets. They don't come with serial numbers, but since they are repairable and semi expensive, the company has made them a rotable by engraving each with an inhouse serial number for tracking purposes.