When Would You Not Land On The Center Line?

Sat Jun 09, 2001 10:30 pm

I have just seen a video of a test pilot in a simulator landing a 340 with engine #1 shut down. The pilot clearly did not touch down land on the center line. Is this part of the procedure?
When would you deliberately not land on the center line?

(for example, I read that a Virgin 340 landed on the right side of the runway because of a retracted left main gear. Thus anticipating left deviation when the engines hit the runway.)

Thanks
Steinweg

B737-112

RE: When Would You Not Land On The Center Line?

Sun Jun 10, 2001 12:11 am

When the runway has center lighting. The lights are slightly above the ground and hitting them at 130 knots makes a popping sound and you can actually feel each one. For passengers pleasure you should avoid these.

Sun Jun 10, 2001 12:43 am

Flying into Oshkosh! It is my understanding they land 2 aircraft on the runway at the same time, one long to the left, and the other short to the right.
Iain

Mac

Sun Jun 10, 2001 2:03 am

In my basic flying days a thousand years ago, we were always urged by our instructors to hit the center line dead on. I suppose they urged us to do that to increase are precise landing abilities. It became an art of one upsmanship in attempting to do this maneuver.
To this day, at Lindbergh Field, San Diego, the commercials take off and come in right smack on the center line.

Sun Jun 10, 2001 2:31 am

When you land an A340 with one engine shut down, do you intentionally touch down a couple meters off the center line?

Tue Jun 12, 2001 10:39 am

One would land off centerline if had possible gear malfunction on one side, or if the x-wind just kicks their a$$ Big grin