usairways@clt

Runway Centerline Lights

Tue Jun 26, 2001 7:31 am

Hi,

I was looking through a few pictures, and all of them had centerline lights that were not in the center of the runway. For example:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

What, if any, is the reason for this?

Zach

OPNLguy

RE: Runway Centerline Lights

Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:27 am

On a 150-foot wide runway, the runway centerline lights being a foot either side of the painted center strip is really no big deal... It's done that way so the centerline lights (imbedded in the pavement) don't get covered up by paint when the runway was stripe was laid down, ditto for repainting...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

coboeing777

Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:50 am

I thought it was so that planes didnt run over them constantly when landing or taking off. They would make a rumbling noise inside the plane similar to how when you drive over the reflectors they have between lanes on some highways, right? Not that every aircraft that lands touches down dead on. Maybe its both reasons...mine and the last post?

air2gxs

Tue Jun 26, 2001 6:49 pm

Personally, I would lean towards the elimination of the thumpity, thump noise and associated vibration as the aircraft accelerates down the runway for take-off.

Thiough the paint theory has a whole lot of merit also

OPNLguy

Wed Jun 27, 2001 1:42 pm

The "thumpity thump" noise can easily be avoided on takeoff roll by lining up the aircraft to avoid running imbedded lights with one of the nosewheels.

Now, on the other hand, assume that a 10,000 foot runway has imbedded lights every 2 feet. Laying down a centerline stripe on top of those lights is gonna cover a good many of them up. Not all 5,000, but how many? 500? 1,000? 2,000? In any event, most airport managements have better things to spend money on than having laborers out there with turpentine and toothbrushes to clean a bunch of lights....  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.