707fan
Topic Author

Flight Simulator 2000 - Boeing 737 - Questions

Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:46 am

I am impressed of the MS Flight Simulator 2000 Prof. edi. and love to 'fly' it.

The pilot’s Handbook doesn't give satisfactory explanation of all subjects and I presume many of you reading this forum can help me with the following questions (regarding flying a Boeing 737/400:

The autopilot-panel:
BC - Back Course Hold Switch: what is the function of this switch ?
Y/D - Yaw Damper Hold Switch - what is the function ?

When making an ILS-landing with the APR-switch on, (and the HDG and ALT have been switched off automatically) the a/c sometimes make a right- or left bank only 100 feet over the threshold. What am I doing wrong / what is happening ?

Could some of you give me the exact speed-limits for the various flaps-settings: 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 25, 30 and 40. Weight is 138,5’ Ib; wind: non; fuel: more than ½.

KCLE

RE: Flight Simulator 2000 - Boeing 737 - Questions

Wed Jul 11, 2001 4:14 am

I can answer your first 3 questions, but the last one exceeds my knowledge.

The Back Course button allows you to fly the reverse of an ILS. Lets use KCLE as an example. One runway, 10-28, has an ILS on only one side, 28. If you wanted to land on 10, you could do two things. 1. Land manually with no instruments, or 2. Land using the B/C of 28's ILS. What you would do is put in the ILS freq. (110.70), but put the course heading of 100 deg. Press the B/C button, and the plane will follow the localizer to the runway. You must follow a visual g/s with the visual glideslope indicators.

The Yaw Damper really has no function on my planes, but it is supposed to control the rolling movements the aircraft may do on its three axis's (left, right, up, down, bank left, bank right). I really don't experience this, but some of my 3rd party panels have buzzers that go off when I don't turn the Y/D on, so it's a habit of mine to turn it on once I engage the A/P.

You need to disconnect the autopilot at least 300 feet from the ground. I disconnect it once the aircraft is situated on the Loc. and G/S. And I just follow the instruments then, making adjustments to follow the G/S closely.

As far as your third question, I have no clue when the flaps are supposed to go down. I start using flaps when I descend to approach altitude which is 7000ft. for my own tastes. One thing I always do, no matter what type of aircraft, I always put the gear down when the flaps are at the halfway position.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Aer Lingus

Wed Jul 11, 2001 6:15 am

I can answer all your questions but I think I should send you here instead to get the fully authentic figures and explantions. Its a site, by a pilot, containing EVERYTHING you'd want to know about the 737
http://www.chris.brady.ukgateway.net

Cheers,
Martin

Ziggy

Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:35 am

The Flap operating speeds can be found on your clipboard by pressing F10. I think it's either in the checklist or in the tech data. As for the Yaw dampener, in FS2000 I don't see it's use. As for real life at high speeds the airliner likes to wag its tail sort to speak, the yaw dampener reduces this effect by utilizing the rudder.

707fan
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:43 am

KCLE: thank you for good advices as well as your answer was written in a very good educational way. I tried the BC on SVMI landing on rwy 27 with ILS 110,10 but it didn't work. I will try further.
Aer Lingus: An interessting document which I will love to go through.
Ziggy: yes I know about the clipboard. In respect of flaps-settings I was just wondering whether the speeds shown is maximum - and it seems to be.
Thanks a lot to you.

Soku39

Thu Jul 12, 2001 5:04 am

Thanks for telling me about dissconnecting the AP on short finals the answer on how to use autoland correctly has been eluding me ever since I got Fs2k last year.
The Ohio Player