Ground Crew Comm.

Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:30 pm

How do the pilots in the cockpit communicate with the ground crew before and after pushback. Do they tune into certain frequencies? Thanks.

RE: Ground Crew Comm.

Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:35 pm

No,we communicate with the ground crew/mech. via the intercom system.
Should this be inoperative for some reason,there are hand signals to be used from the cockpit window.
Such as :  Big thumbs up
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!

Fri Jul 13, 2001 10:03 pm

How does it work?

Fri Jul 13, 2001 10:21 pm

As far as I know, the ground crew plug their earphones into sockets at the nose gear.
I guess most planes would have several other places where you can plug in to the intercom (near service ports, loading doors...).

Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:00 pm

I have only seen one aircraft with more then one plug in.

That was the Lockheed 188.

There was one at the nose and a second one with the connect port on the bottom of the aft fuselage where the air-start cart plugged in.

I assume that one was so the flight crew could tell that operator to hit the air.

Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:38 pm

We connect our headset, and talk "out" the pilot during pushback and startup of engines. If I say no to enginestart, the pilot must wait for my clearence. I'm his eyes on the ground, and therefor he he listens to me. If headset doesn't work we use handsignals instead. There is handsignals for the same thing as we say to the pilot, and these signals are international. The best thing when it comes to handle the aircraft is when it comes to talk in headset. IT'S FUN!!!! Have a great day!
When in doubt, flat out!

RE: Ground Crew Comm./interphone Jacks

Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:54 pm

Almost all a/c´s have two sets of interphone jacks,one for flightdeck communications and one for service communications.

The flightdeck interphone jack´s usually situated inside the groundpower connection panel or(on widebodies and others)on the nose landing gear,adjacent to the apu fire extinguisher buttons and nosegear lockout pin assy.
This jack is used by the engineer/startleader to communicate with the flightdeck during push back/startup procedures,as well as other technical issues.

The service jack provides direct contact with the cabincrew at their designated stations throughout the cabin.

Service jacks can also be found on certain parts of the fuselage,close to the engines,wheelwells and such..these are placed there for maintenace reasons only,to enable contact between the engineer´s on the ground and on the flightdeck.
They´re only used during routine/sheduled maintenance checks/repairs.