One More ;-): Listen ATC

Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:39 am

Hello,

the 13 of August i'll be flying from CYUL to GMMN (Montreal to Casablanca) on B747-400 of Royal Air Maroc and then from Casablanca to Niamey on B737-700 with the same airline. Is it possible to listen to the ATC while in the passenger cabin? with the headphones? is there a special channel?
Also how do i do if i want to be in the jump-seat for takeoffs or landings?

Thanks.

36r

RE: One More ;-): Listen ATC

Wed Aug 01, 2001 6:11 am

Although I can't speak specifically for Royal Air Maroc - your chances are pretty much slim to none to get a jumpseat during critical phases of flight since this goes against most commercial flight regulations. You might get a visit at cruise alt. but otherwise your best bet is to just be happy with a window seat.

Have a great trip!

airways

Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:49 am

As I know, most airlines do not allow the use of air-band scanners on their planes. And I have never heard that an airline is putting their ATC conversations on the headphones.

Just imagine, if there is only a very, very small problem in the cockpit to be solved (or just a weather warning from ATC), there would be panic in the cabin if everyone would listen to the pilot's conversation...

Michael
http://airways.ch

flightsimfreak

Wed Aug 01, 2001 1:56 pm

United has 'From The Cockpit' on channel 9 on most of it's aircraft (I'm thinking it's ATC)

flightsimfreak

Thrust Reverser Deployment In Flight

Wed Aug 01, 2001 1:58 pm

What would happen in the unlikly event of a thrust reverser deployment in flight, mainly on takeoff- or some other time when the engines are at full power?

Ziggy

Wed Aug 01, 2001 2:50 pm

While in cruise your not missing much, very boring from ATC. Usually noone's talking because they already have their clearence for the duration of the flight. Most comm chatter occur during departure and arrival.