Anti-Reflective Coatings On Instruments?

Mon Aug 06, 2001 3:56 pm

While looking at cockpit photos I noticed the reflections of some guages(including crt's) have various colours, mostly green, orange, purple and blue. This suggests to me that glass on these is coated with anti-reflective coatings just like camera lenses to minimze reflections in direct sunlight and offer a clearer view. Could someone could confirm if im onto something here?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Siegfried Huss

Note the purple reflection on co-pilots CRT's.

OldMan

RE: Anti-Reflective Coatings On Instruments?

Wed Aug 08, 2001 10:48 am

The reflections could be from something behind the F/O's seat? The glass on many of the instruments, CRT etc. as I remember is heated to preclude the possibility of fogging up in the event of a rapid depressurization. I just can't say for sure, how soon we forget? Must be old age. Perhaps Buff can give you a more difinitive reply. Regards, Oldman

Junior

RE: Anti-Reflective Coatings On Instruments?

Thu Aug 09, 2001 9:24 am

I only know the Airbus series, and there's a protective glass in front of the actual CRT and it has a anti-reflecting coating. As long as they are clean, it works, but it also has its limitations e.g. the coating is extremely sensitive to stains (fingerprints) and very hard to clean.
Looks exactly like the 737 screens in the picture (the reflections), so I figure it must be a similar concept.