Bird Intake In Turbofans

Thu Aug 09, 2001 11:35 am

How damaging is it, really? Don't they just splash right through the main fan and drain into the bypass airflow? I'd understand the damage if a guy got flushed.

The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

RE: Bird Intake In Turbofans

Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:13 pm

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow. Intact bird at intake, Molecular bird at exhaust. Of course, this applies to small birds. A large bird such as a vulture or eagle might bend a fan blade or two. Any engine that ingests a flock of hundreds on takeoff, though, is in grave danger. That would be the same as total engine failure. The larger the engine, of course, the more birds it is able to process.

The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:26 pm

IMissPiedmont: ROFL!!!  Big thumbs up
I don't know, so this is my signature.

Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:46 pm

It's what's known in the industry as "Shredded Tweet"

Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:15 am

Most engines are designed to move any foreign object to the fan sction thus sparing the core engine from damage. If there is evidence of core penetration most maintenance manuals call for a boroscope inspection within a set time, sometimes before further flight.

Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:18 pm

Birds usually disintigrate when they hit the fan and are slung outward due to centrifugal force. Most of the bird goes through the bypass duct.

I remember one particular bird strike inspection where a good portion of a duck became lodged in the oil cooler of a CF-34 engine. We really wanted to just replace it, but the company refused since it costed upwards of $40K. Th engineers at GE suggested that we boil the cooler in a pot of water to remove what was left of the duck. It worked, we had a clean oil cooler and a pot of duck soup!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy