Would A Sonic Boom Rapture Ear Drums?

Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:28 am

At the YXX airshow yesterday, the anouncer anounced "The F-18 will now demonstarate its high-speed capabilty with the pilot being carefull not to cross the sound barrier as the resulting sonic boom would shatter nearby windows". So my question is, would it also rapture the ear drums of everyone at the airshow?

pmk

RE: Would A Sonic Boom Rapture Ear Drums?

Mon Aug 13, 2001 1:17 pm

1.I was not aware that sonic phenomnenon were part of the rapture, and I was definately not aware that ear drums have anything to do with the coming of Christ  Smokin cool

2.Well, maybe, kinda, let's say it's not healthy. Go to a high power rifle range, it's loud, but it would not cause ear damage...once, repeatedly, probably.

Peter

Twotterwrench

Mon Aug 13, 2001 2:32 pm

For a true airplane nut, a sonic boom is rapture indeed.. better than sex baby!!!

jwenting

Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:24 pm

a sonic boom might damage your eardrums if it happened close enough.
The real reason the pilot was not allowed to go supersonic is probably more closely related to environmental regs or other noise restrictions. If you can keep the neighbours happy by not going supersonic over the field, that is a small price to pay for not getting your fence torn down and aircraft damaged all the time by angry crowds.
I wish I were flying

XXXX10

Mon Aug 13, 2001 5:49 pm

During the 60's Concorde was tested over the Uk

Whilst it did break some windows and there were many complaints.

There were no broken ear-drums

concorde1518

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:51 am

At the KSUU (Travis AFB) airshow in june, an aircraft broke the aound barrier (I belive it was an F-117, but i wasn't around when it happened, i just heard it) and it didn't damage anything.

Minuteman

Wed Aug 15, 2001 6:45 am

I can almost certainly assure you it was not an F-117 that went supersonic.

It may be legend, but believe sometime during the Middle East skirmishes, military aircraft would fly over villages at supersonic speeds doing quite a bit of harm without technically "attacking."

dw747400

Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:28 am

The F-117 is not built to go supersonic and has only gone supersonic in testing, never in operation. So it was neither the aircraft at the airshow or in the middle east.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:34 am

So the bottom line is that sonic booms are unpleasent but generly harmless, not producing enough db's or a strong enough schockwave to damage the realtively small surface area of the human ear drum but strong enough to be able to crack windows if it occurs close by.

Notar520AC

Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:47 am

Don't think so- that is unless you were crazy and wanted to get "a good view" of the afterburners, and ear drum damage would be the least of your worries then!

-Notar520AC
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

IMissPiedmont

Wed Aug 15, 2001 11:15 am

Although I find a sonic boom quite enjoyable, I can't say I enter a rapturous state on hearing one.

The answer is, no, a sonic boom will not hurt your eardrums. The eardrum is far more resiliant than a mere piece of glass. Also, the frequency generated is what causes broken glass, not the volume. This si not to say that if you were 100 feet from an aircraft at M1+ that you would be real happy. Unless, of course yopu were in an airplane also going that speed. Then the sound wouldn't matter.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.