How Many Uniforms?

Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:44 am

How many uniforms does a new hire pilot get from an airline once hired?  Confused

Regards,
-1011  Big thumbs up

Top Gun

RE: How Many Uniforms?

Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:26 pm

At Canadian Airlines when we forumed in the 80's we got one blazer, two shirts with our symbol, and two pairs of pants. Oh yeah a tie and the hat. At Air Canada we got a Blazer and a hat. Jeese, I forgot those covetted bars.

I'm sure it varies from airline to airline but if they require a uniform, our employment act (law for you yanks) they employer must provide it.

At a smaller airline where I flew a King Air they told us to dress like pilot and supplied nothing. Like I said it varies.

Thu Aug 16, 2001 2:15 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. Big grin Hopefully in a couple years I'll get my airline wings! Check out the Continental Express post in the Civil Aviation forum.

FBU 4EVER!

Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:38 pm

Some operators give you nothing,while others are quite generous.Scandinavian is one of those:
1 cap
1 "cruise cap" (really just a baseball cap that no-one uses)
2 blazers (or 1 battle jacket and 1 blazer)
4 pairs of trousers
6 shirts
2 belts
2 ties
1 scarf
1 knitted (woolen) pullover or jacket.
1 coat for summer use
1 coat for winter use
No shoes,but we get an annual allowance for those.

In addition,we get 1 flight bag,1 "overnight" bag,1 suitcase,1 garment bag and 1 cabin roller bag.

Any better out there?
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!

cv640

Thu Aug 16, 2001 10:46 pm

In the US all carriers, except I believe UPS require the flight crew to buy the uniform. Soem will cover a percentage of the cost, anywhere from 25% to half it seems and will payroll deduct the rest. I was required to buy at least the hat, 2 pairs of slacks, 4 shirts(2-longsleeve and 2-short sleeve), a sweater, the jacket, a raincoat, and 2 ties. In addition you'll need a flight case and an overnight bag, a lot just use a back pack or something similar, saves you $200. It works great on the stand up overnights, but if you do a 4 day trip you'll definitely need a real piece of luggage. Good luck

Fri Aug 17, 2001 4:31 am

Ok... I was just wondering since CoEx could possibly be my first aviation career.  Big thumbs up