HAWK21M
Topic Author

Lightning Divertor Strips.B737

Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:14 am

Could anyone explain the principle of operation of the Lightning Divertor strips mounted on the Radome of a B737.
regds
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

airplay

RE: Lightning Divertor Strips.B737

Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:37 pm

Lighting diverter strips provide a path of relatively less resistance than the radome, to allow lightning strikes and severe static discharge to make it's way to the airframe where the charge can be dissipated to the atmosphere properly and slowly through the static discharge devices. (Static wicks etc.)

The strips are "consumable". They are eaten away by large discharges and need to be inspected and replaced occasionally.

Radomes are made from non-metal composite materials or from re-enforced fibreglass type compounds. The radome is usually coated with a conductive compound so that it can handle most static charges and pass them to the airframe, but it can obviously not be covered in a metal shroud. The lightning diverters offer an additional level of protection.

Typical damage caused by static discharge on unprotected radomes range from tiny carbon filled pinholes to large holes burned through. Even small pin holes can cause water ingress and subsequent delamination caused by water expansion due to freezing.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2001 10:41 pm

Is it only that it provides a Lower resistance to a lightening strike.To allow the charge to flow to the dischargers.
Or Is a similiar charge to lightening due to material characteristics present in the divertor strips also responsible.
regds
HAWK.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

musang

Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:50 pm

Airplay I take it you're referring to the radial metal strips on the nosecone.

Are you familiar with the black ring painted around the nose of British Airways 737s and 757s, at the joint between radome and forward pressure bulkhead?

I understand this serves the same function, but would be interested to know how it does so, and why the rest of the BA fleet don't have it.

Regards - Musang

airplay

Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:59 am

I think the black ring you are referring to is merely a strip of conductive paint that ensures that the radome is electrically bonded to the airframe.

A similar black strip can be found stradling rubber de-ice boots and wing leading edges on other aircraft that use pneumatic de-ice boots which are also conductive. (Many tires are conductive too)

The lightning diverter strips are usually directly connected to the radome mounting bolts.

airplay

Sat Aug 25, 2001 2:01 am

I've also been told that the black ring may be an aid in identifying ice buildup. Some turboprop aircraft have a similar black ring on the prop spinner. Any BA flight crew out there that can clear this up?