stephen007

Why Boeing Metal Finish And Airbus Yellow?

Sun Sep 09, 2001 2:52 am

hi all, have this enquiry why is it that newly manufactured Airbus a/c are in this yellow colour (as if unpainted) and new built boeings are in bare metal finish?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Erik Frikke

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © AirNikon

can someone tell me why the difference and the purpose? thanks

RE: Why Boeing Metal Finish And Airbus Yellow?

Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:01 am

The "yellow" is actually a protective coat of resin or paint(I think) and both Boeing and Airbus planes recive it. It just so happens that some airline flying Boeing decided to polish their planes by sanding down that coat. I could be wrong, but i remember seeing the Boeing plant on tv and the unassembled hulls were yellow as well.

stephen007

Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:17 am

so i guess when they started out, the metal pieces came like that? is it standard, i remember watching the B767-400 manufacturing video on www.boeing.com but it seems like they were more like normal aluminum-colour.

The "yellow" are Non-standard issue, are they? and what are they supposed to protect the a/c from?

777236ER

Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:54 am

The Boeing unbuilt-fuselages are bare metal, but they're covered with a protective layer of vinyl to prevent stratches. Don't know about Airbus...
Your bone's got a little machine

bio15

Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:34 am

I haven't seen Boeing's new aircraft in bare metal finish. When they are assembled, they look shiny dark green, or something like that, and some other parts of the fuselage are in the yellowish color airbus has.

-bio

IMissPiedmont

Sun Sep 09, 2001 2:20 pm

I admit this is just a guess, but the Airbus looks like it just has Alodine on it. Possibly they don't use AlClad? Alodine also comes in clear, so perhaps the Boeing has that.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

L-188

Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:12 pm

They are just different corrosion proofing processes used.

The same process can cause turn out different shades of color also depending on what Alloy of metal it is applied too.

BTW Daussalt Falcons come out of the factory in various shades of gray.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jwenting

Sun Sep 09, 2001 5:51 pm

Boeings are made of metal, Airbusses of plastic  Smile
I wish I were flying

AIRCANON

Jwenting

Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:46 pm

That may be the reason why Airbusses, even after years in service don´t look rotten!  Big thumbs up

Klaus

Aircanon

Mon Sep 10, 2001 9:52 am

Aircanon: That may be the reason why Airbusses, even after years in service don´t look rotten!  Big thumbs up

Oh, come on!
Aluminum doesn´t rust, either!  Wink/being sarcastic
(And plastics are subject to other ways of aging, if I´m not completely mistaken...)

HAWK21M

Mon Sep 10, 2001 3:09 pm

The Yellow or Green tint is Zinc Chromate primer, its supposed to improve the corrosion resistant properties of the metal it surfaces, in addition it provides a better adhesive surface for the paint coat that follows.
All painted surfaces have this primer below unless instead of paint the surface is polished.
regds
HAWK.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

srbmod

Mon Sep 10, 2001 3:13 pm

Also various pieces are different colors depending upon the alloys used to build the particular section, which is why American's tails are all painted gray, because the Boeing tails use alloys that are not the same color as the aluminum used for the bulk of the fuselage.

AIRCANON

RE: Aircanon

Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:46 pm

Hi Klaus!

Oh, come on!
Aluminum doesn´t rust, either!  Wink/being sarcastic
(And plastics are subject to other ways of aging, if I´m not completely mistaken...)

No you´re not mistaken at all and as you should know i love both... Airbus and Boeing (especially the 747´s and 777´s !!!).

If you study my posting exactly you can notice that i have with no word mentioned that Boeing Airplanes look rotten after years of service! I only said that Airbus don´t.  Innocent

I just could´nt resist posting that after reading Jwenting´s post....  Wink/being sarcastic

Regards

Schöne Grüsse nach Deutschland

Edwin

Big thumbs up

Klaus

Aircanon

Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:17 am

Aircanon: I just could´nt resist posting that after reading Jwenting´s post....

I thought so. Big grin

Viele Grüße nach Österreich!  Smile

Thu Sep 13, 2001 7:51 am

All look like that. They have protective coating on them until they get to the paint shop. Go to any boeing/gulfstream/whatever manufacturing facility and you will see this.