lehpron

If Air Pressure Had A Choice...

Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:38 am

This is a question dealing with the aerodynamics of an aerofoil relating induced drag, overall lift, vortices and the purpose there of.

*For certain subsonic and/or supersonic aerofoils, where would the secondary flow, i.e. vortices, occur?

*What would be the shortest path that the flow would go?

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Lehpron
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

lehpron

RE: If Air Pressure Had A Choice...

Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:35 pm

Is it really that hard?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Minuteman

Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:01 pm

It's really that incomprehensible.

What are you talking about? To which certain airfoils are you referring?

In general, bound vorticies are going to be perpendicular to the lifting-line of an airfoil. This dives into 3D Potential flow. It involves lots of ugly math that ends up being only an approximation anyway.

If you're into that kind of thing, here ya go:
http://www.desktopaero.com/appliedaero/

lehpron

Sun Oct 14, 2001 4:03 pm

I see it as a simple question, any approximation will do as long as it's accurate.

I mean any aerofoil; except for supercritical wings, they all perform similarly in their envelopes. So which way does the air go?

I asks vaguely because I came up with an innovation a few weeks ago that can deal with voticies better than winglets.

TAA_Airbus

Tue Oct 16, 2001 5:34 pm

basically any aerofoil will produce vortices.

The main way a common vortex is produced is higher pressure air underneith the aerofoil pushing it self out from under the wingtip and then tries to roll up to the low pressure on top of the aerofoil. This is what initiates the spiralling vortex.

The idea of the winglet is to try stop the air forcing its way up and therefore disturbing the spiralling air which is being formed.

Other ways in which vortices are minimized are tip tanks, on light aircraft (eg. Cessna 310) or a blended wing, also on some light aircraft.

I hope thats what you were asking, like minuteman said, the question wasnt very well asked!