Captain Heard
Topic Author

Air Traffic Controller...

Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:40 am

Ok, my ultimate dream was to become a pilot. Or to be more exact a 747-400 Captain. However I'm looking at other things that interest me... and why not Air Traffic Controller. I'm 18 still young and can look at my options and basically I'm impatient and can’t wait long enough to get what I really want.

I was just asking for some info of becoming a Controller.
Preferably in Australia.
-What qualifications?
-Degree?
-How long does it take?

Any other info would be great

Cheers for your help  Big thumbs up
-Cpt

Aerokid

RE: Air Traffic Controller...

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:39 pm

Hi there,

I don't have info about Australian ATC but maybe you can start at http://www.eurocontrol.org or at http://www.eurocontrol.be which has a special section dedicated to training and jobs.

Good luck with your career.

Best regards,
GR.

Contact_tower

Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:27 am

Go ahead man!  Big grin

I have 4 weeks left of my training at Swedish Air Traffic Services Academy myself!

The world needs more good controllers!

The qualifications etc is very different from country to country, but in general you need to pass medicals equal to that of a airlinepilot. You allso need to have high stress tolerance, and be able to handle much information at the same time. In Norway (I'm employed by the norwegian CAA) the tests are somewhat similar to the ones used for future fighterpilots, with a stress on visual conception and ability to handle sources of information simultaneously.
The ability to work well with other people is vey important, even in a hectic work inviroment.

In most european countries you need a highschool (or simillar) diploma with fairly high grades, but some (i belive france) require college diplomas. (Which is total B.S, ATC is not something you can learn at Sorbonne...)

I know that Australia has sendt ATC trainees to Bailbrook College in the UK, a ATC academy in Bath that Norway has used previously.

It takes approx 2-3 years, depending on the size and complexity of the ATC unit which will give the final sertficate of validation.

It's often approx 18 moths in an ATC academy followed by 6-12 moths on the ATC unit.

Give it a go!! I can recomend it!!  Big thumbs up

Captain Heard
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:12 am

Cheers for your help guys.
I'll look into it further here in Australia.

Contact_Tower.. well done and good luck with you career.  Big thumbs up

-Cpt

Bobsmuggle

Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:05 pm

The AirServices Australia website tells you all about how to become a ATC in Aus

http://www.airservices.gov.au/employment/index.htm

Cheers

Paul

TAA_Airbus

Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:07 pm

I gave you a very good reply in civil aviation forum, wheres my thanks?

Captain Heard
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:44 am

TAA_Airbus

T H A N X  Big thumbs up