lehpron

Drag: 3?'s

Sat Nov 03, 2001 2:38 pm

How much of a factor is drag as a plane flies and moves on the ground?

I heard there are many types of drag, what are they and how do they affect each other or the plane?

What is being done to counter then?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

XFSUgimpLB41X

RE: Drag: 3?'s

Sat Nov 03, 2001 3:31 pm

There is 3 types of drag... and to quote my Gleim Flight/Ground Instructor Written exam study guide book (ah the big red book.. gotta love Gleim):

Induced drag: the portion of drag created by the production of lift. Induced drag varies inversely as the square of the airspeed. It increases total drag as airspeed is reduced below the maximum lift/drag ratio speed.

Profile drag: the resistance, or skin friction, due to the viscosity of the air as it passes along the surface of the wing.

Parasite drag: increases with airspeed and increases total drag above the maximum lift/drag ratio speed.
Chicks dig winglets.

lehpron

Sat Nov 03, 2001 4:04 pm

I love formulas, thanks XFSUgimpLB41X. I'm sure that induced drag deals with the amount of forward-area of wing.

So does the "area rule" relate to Profile drag and "wave drag" is related to Parasite drag?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

EssentialPowr

Sun Nov 04, 2001 4:17 pm

Ahhh...it seems the Gleim didn't cover it all (is that possible?) Maybe there is more to the topic than that required to meet CFI/AGI requirements...

The "Area Rule" typically relates to Form drag, also know as Boundry Layer Normal Pressure drag. Profile drag is a combination of Form drag and Surface Friction drag. So, the "area rule" is a component of Profile drag.

Wave drag is drag solely associated with shock wave formation, and is a different animal than Parasitic drag.

Cheers-