RyDawg82

Black Markings On Wings

Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:46 am

Ok, I tried searching a little bit thru the forums and was unable to locate an answer, hopefully I wont offend with a duplicate question....

Can anyone explain the benefit or reason for the black marking on wings...TWA seemed to have the marking on most of their aircraft....I noticed this weekend, ALL united 737-x00's had this black marking....Can anyone shed some light???

Ry

zebfly2

RE: Black Markings On Wings

Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:45 am

It is my understanding that the black markings had something to do with icing on the wings.I recall reading somewhere in the past that the marking are checked to see if ice has built up on the wings while it is on the ground. If this info is correct or incorrect, please reply. Thanks.
Educate your children before others mis-educate them!!!

UA752

Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:13 am

I believe that it is for the pilot. It makes it easier for him to see ice buildup on the wings. Its easier to see ice on a black surface rather than on the gray color of the wings where it seems to blend in with the surface.

MSN

Murf

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:02 am

If the black paint markings you are referring to is on the most outboard leading edge slat of each wing, then the other guys are correct. Its for visual ice detection. My neighbor is a United mechanic and I asked him the same question. They have been painting it on the 737's during C checks for the past year or so.

murf