Ikarus
Topic Author

Sears-Haack X-section Ditribution & Sonic Cruiser?

Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:17 am

Hi there!

The only really interesting course I have at the moment is Aerospace Vehicle Design. Today we very briefly learnt about the Sears-Haack distribution, and how this distribution is giving the optimum cross-sectional area of an aircraft along its length for different Machnumbers. It was very interesting information, but I cannot claim to understand WHY or HOW this cross-sectional area distribution is the optimum for the given Machnumber. Also, it was mentioned that the distinctive shape of the Sonic Cruiser is - presumably - largely influenced by attempts to satisfy these optimum conditions (especially the decision to use canards) for a design Mach number of 1.0, while trying to keep the fuselage cross-section reasonably constant

So basically, I was wondering whether anyone can point out a good source of information about the entire theory, and how exactly it is supposed to work. Also, is there any information available on the lengthwise cross-sectional area distribution of the Sonic Cruiser, for comparison with the (theoretical) optimum? I'd rather like to see how close to the ideal the design is...

Thanks for any help

Regards

Ikarus