PanAm747
Topic Author

Airline Pilots Solo?

Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:29 pm

I remember a pilot on this board saying that he flew solo across the Atlantic, is this possible?

Will an airline ever let a single pilot fly a plane (Ex. B767)?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Ziggy

RE: Airline Pilots Solo?

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:19 pm

Only if it's an aircraft that is certified for single crew member and under part 91. (general aviation). Airliners i.e. the B767 are certified for two flight crew members. So it is required, also I'm sure there's a reg under part 121 (Flag operations) and 135 (air carrier) regulations.

NZ767

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:21 pm

He probably meant on a private GA a/c in his own time.

delta-flyer

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:38 pm

Charles Lindberg did it!

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Illini_152

Tue Nov 20, 2001 3:16 pm

I have heard many stories about flights like this, often times it is in the course of ferrying a small GA plane over. Since range is limited, the interior is usually gutted and replaced with ferry tanks, and special waivers are granted for overgross operations. A friend of mine had his 182 flown from Hawaii to California, where he took delivery. The plane was loaded down with a 280 gallon ferry tank to make the trip. Past the equal time point, the headwinds shifted, and they ended up landing in California 25 hours later, with less than 1 hours worth of gas on board. The plane was so overloaded on takeoff (with only the one pilot on board mind you) that the normally overpowered 182 could barely climb out of ground effect.
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

Tue Nov 20, 2001 10:29 pm

What he meant was that was his first flight as captain!
Iain

wing

Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:36 am

To fly as a captain doesn't count as solo flight since the aircraft is certified to fly with two pilots on board.Whoever said that probably meant about the private time of himself.By the way the times when one of the pilots out of the cockpit (for peeing for example) doesnt count solo time also Smile
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

PanAm747
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:13 am

What happens during a sim checkride?

Do you have to show that you can handle emergencies by yourself?

Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:18 am

Wing, trust me that is what he meant!
Iain

ryu2

Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:39 am

Could it be done in theory? Of course, it would never be allowed in real life, but if a pilot knew what he was doing, didn't do the checklists, handled all the radio calls, etc -- would it even be possible to fly a airliner like a Boeing or Airbus from the left seat alone? Or are some critical flight controls, etc. situated only where the F/O can get to them?

HLF-MD11

Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:16 am

Remember the hijacked Lufthansa B737 in the 70's ?
When the terrorists killed the captain, the F/O flew solo to Mogadishu (spelling?) I don't know if he had help from somebody - at least he was the only 737 certified pilot onboard.
KH

Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:08 am

Flying two-pilot airliners with a single pilot would not be too big a deal - as long as everything is working properly. After all, the military has been flying high performance multi-engined jet aircraft with single pilots for decades. As far as corporate aircraft go, there are plenty of bizjets that are certified for single-pilot operations. As to whether or not this is wise is a topic for another discussion. From my own experience, I can add two points. First, way back when I worked for a major, I had the chance to fly a 727 simulator single-pilot. It actually was possible. You had to position yourself near the FE's panel for the engine start after which you went to the captain's seat. Only if you needed to balance fuel was it necessary to get out of the pilot's seat - but then, that's what auto pilots are for right? Finally, a few years I go I was on a trip to Bolivia and the other pilot I was with became desperately ill. It was literally a matter of life and death. Time was extremely critical, he had only a very few hours to get the proper antibiotics to save his life. There were no qualified pilots available locally and we had no time to wait for a replacement pilot to arrive from the States. We put him in the airplane and I flew it single-pilot to Texas. Although, our aircraft require two-pilot crews this was really a non-event as far as the flying part went.

D-aqui

Fri Nov 23, 2001 4:01 am

HLF-MD 11,

during the hijacking of the Lufthansa 737-130 "Landshut" reg. D-ABCE it was indeed the f/o Jürgen Vietor who was forced to fly the plane (out of Aden I think) under the worst conditions (uncertain state of the a/c after landing, fire extinguishers discharged etc). Mind you, he was a naval aviator in the German navy (Marineflieger) before he joined Lufthansa.

HLF-MD11

Fri Nov 23, 2001 8:28 pm

Hi Ju52 (. . . )
I once met this guy - and my son flew with him as a 737 F/O - I dont know if he came from the Navy, but he really did a superb job on this solo flight.